Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The message "open output tray press ok" persists with the output tray open and OK pressed. Seems the unit does not believe the tray is open. This occured directly after clearing a paper jam.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sometime a small part being out of alignment can make a sensor go off inside the printer, so make sure you put everything back together right first.  While you're doing that, examine the printer closely for any broken pieces.  If you can't see anything that's obviously broken, try doing a hard reset.  The instructions for that are below.  If the hard reset doesn't clear the error, the output tray sensor may be broken.  If that's the case, you will need to get a new printer, as the sensor can't be repaired.

To do a hard reset:
1. Make sure the printer is on.
2. Pull the power cord from the printer.
3. Pull the power cord from the wall.
4. Wait 30 seconds.
5. Plug the printer in and turn it on.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What printer are you using?

What OS do you have?

How is the printer connected to the computer?

I realize I only need to know the printer to help you, but in case something else comes up, I want to be prepared.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

HP DeskJet 3050 J10 Series

Windows

Linksys Wireless Router

Windows 7 Professional

The printers was working fine networked to a Windows PC and Mac. I removed a paper jam and the hardware believes the output tray is open.

Thanks

DD

HP Recommended

Sometime a small part being out of alignment can make a sensor go off inside the printer, so make sure you put everything back together right first.  While you're doing that, examine the printer closely for any broken pieces.  If you can't see anything that's obviously broken, try doing a hard reset.  The instructions for that are below.  If the hard reset doesn't clear the error, the output tray sensor may be broken.  If that's the case, you will need to get a new printer, as the sensor can't be repaired.

To do a hard reset:
1. Make sure the printer is on.
2. Pull the power cord from the printer.
3. Pull the power cord from the wall.
4. Wait 30 seconds.
5. Plug the printer in and turn it on.

Signature
HP Recommended

Thanks. Excellent instructions and diagnosis.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.