Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejectg Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I give up! I am trying to print envelopes from Windows 7 and Word 2010 to an Officejet Pro 8710. My actual envelop size is 5 3/4" by 8 3/4". I've set that size in Word for the envelop dimensions. On the HP 8710 there is no such dimension, so I've selected something close, 5.5" x 8.5", on the front panel. In Word, when I go to print, I select the 8710 Properties > Advanced > Paper/Quality > Advanced . There are no similar dimensions to choose from (why does the driver not have the same dimensions as the printer itself?) so I select 5x8 in. After doing all that and trying to print I get:

"The paper size detected by the printer does not match the paper size selected (Letter (8.5x11 in.)) for the print job"

Note that this message says, "8.5x11 in. even though the front-panel size selected is 5.5x8.5.

I've checked numerous HP forums questions on this and tried a variety of combinations of dimension on the printer, in Word, and in the Windows 7 driver settings for the 8710 printer. I've been at this over an hour! Help!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Create custom size paper in print driver that matches the size of your envelopes and print on a custom size.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03890386 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

@jmarkfoleyjr 

The printer appears to support custom sizes.

Printer Specifications for HP OfficeJet Pro 8700 Printers

I cannot answer whether this will work with ten year old Word and Windows 7.

The following example setup includes:

• Custom envelope size 7x5 inches
  • Windows 10 installed Full Feature Software (full driver)
  • Word - Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019

HP Document:

HP Printers - Creating Custom Paper Sizes

1. Availability (of the Custom Form feature) and how the form is created depends on printer model and software and Operating System / Version.
  2. Custom Paper form as described requires that the Full Feature Software has been installed.

1. If the feature is at least partially supported the Custom Setup will be available in Devices and Printers OR in Printer Preferences.
  2. If the feature is fully supported, the custom form can be created AND then used with the printer software.

Where Located

• Devices and Printers > Print Server Properties

OR

• Printer Preferences > Print Dialog > Paper / Quality > Custom setting box

Example 1

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Left-Click on your Printer one time to highlight >

Left-Click Print Server Properties (along the top ribbon)

Custom_Form_Envelope_7x5Custom_Form_Envelope_7x5

OR

Example 2

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Right-Click on your Printer > If necessary, select printer from drop down menu / list

Printing Preferences > tab Paper/Quality > Custom

Printing_Preferences_Custom_Envelope_7x5Printing_Preferences_Custom_Envelope_7x5

Depending on Printer Model / Software, changing the paper in the tray may require that the paper settings be adjusted on the printer control panel.

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Panel

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

On the printer control panel, Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

NOTE:  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down list, Select Custom

Example 

Word > Mailings > Envelopes

Reminder:  If your address book does not engage, open your Mail client and leave it open in a separate window.

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_7x5_2Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_7x5_2

References

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the detailed feedback! I was successfully able to add the custom form using Devices and Printers > [select 8710] > Print server properties > create new form, etc. I created the form with my specified dimensions. However, this "form" does not show in Word when I select the 8710 printer and Printer Properties > Paper/Quality > Advanced > Paper Size. I've rebooted the computer, but no go. Even though the form does show  that I've created it.

So, is this not doable with Windows 7?

HP Recommended

@jmarkfoleyjr 

I do not know whether using Windows 7 is affecting the outcome.  It is been a minute since I left Windows 7.

I use the following method:

Create the custom paper form (done).

Use Word > Mailings > Envelopes as shown in the example to create and print envelopes without ever going into Word > File > Print > Printer Properties

Open new Word document

Mailings > Envelopes 

Fill in Envelope form, including (when necessary) selecting Custom size and entering the envelope dimensions,

Finish settings (in Envelope form and Print Options), Click Print  (marked "Send to Printer" in the example.

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_7x5_2Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_7x5_2

To be fair, the examples used (in this thread and others) were made from one of three printers > Officejet Pro 8630, Officejet Pro 8740, and Officejet Pro 9025 .  All of these printers fully support custom paper sizes.  All the examples and testing has been completed running Windows 10 Pro.

There may well be something going on that is different:

• Windows 7 may be impacting the outcome.
  • Your printer may not fully support custom paper size
  • I might be misrepresenting the methodology (making mistakes)

What if?

If you are not using the Mailings > Envelopes > form set and print option, then I do have another example I can provide. The example shows how to manually create an envelope using Text Boxes, tiny inserted images, and To-From addressing.

In this case, if the paper size is not listed in your Word document > File > Print > Printer Properties, use

File > Print > Page Setup > Tab Paper

Under Paper Size

Click the current paper size listing to open the list,

Scroll to the bottom of the list and select Custom

Set the Paper Source and click OK to save changes and exit the little menu

Example - Word > Manual Envelope A9

Manual_A9_Envelope_Text_Box_Insert_1Manual_A9_Envelope_Text_Box_Insert_1

If I have anything else to offer, I will post back.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.