Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 5230
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When i'm trying to print from my laptop, i get an error saying "printer couldn't print PDF" and then "printer in an error state". Tried HP Print and Scan doctor, no luck. Tried disconnecting power code and plugging back in, no luck. Please help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Muskett33 I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did any hardware changes take place on the printer (replacing the cartridges, paper jam, etc.?)
  • Are you able to make copies?

In the meantime, let's perform these steps here:

Hard reset on the printer, router, computer and other devices on the same network.

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Press the Power button on the printer to turn it off.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.

4. Turn off the computer.

5. Wait for 30 seconds.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.

7. Wait for 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready

8. Turn the computer back on.

9. Wait for the computer to reload

10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

11. Turn the printer back on.

I would start by checking the installed printer software by downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor. This tool can diagnose and fix many printing and printer software related issues. P

lease use this link to help you with that information: Click here

Please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Printers - Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows) - Click here

If the issue persists, I would suggest you try and assign a manual IP and create a TCP/IP port should resolve this issue.

Watch the video to know how to assign a manual IP on HP Printer: Click here to watch a video (steps for win8, and win10)

Refer this to create a TCP/IP port: click here for steps

I hope this helps. If you need any further assistance, do let me know.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello - the issue has still not been resolved. I can print diagnostic reports from the HP printer app on my laptop, and print following "clean printer / alignment" options. But cannot print anything else. I ran the HP scan doctor which identified a problem but couldnt print out a test report.

I reported this issue on 6th Feb, so was in warranty. Is it possible to have a phone call with tech support?

Thanks, Adam

HP Recommended

Hi - i've also tried removing the HP program drive and reinstalling there drives twice. First time, i get an error at the end saying "Error 404--Not Found. Second time i tried installing i get error saying "Service Unavailable - DNS Failure". I've taken screenshots of these if you require.

HP Recommended

@Muskett33 I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my printer. Were you able to resolve issue? Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.