Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Instant ink colour cartidge was recently replaced and is showing as being full - yet the printer won't print in colour

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @NeilRog,

Thanks for running the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool.

If the cartridge was faulty your printer wouldn't print colour on the standalone Print Quality Diagnostic report. Rather, the issue only appears to occur when your print from your computer - this leads me to believe that there is a setting/driver conflict occurring between your printer and the computer. 

Let's try the following steps:

• (1) On your computer, open up the Devices and Printers window

• (2) Right click on your Envy 5540

• (3) Left click on Printer Properties

• (4) Select the Advanced tab along the top

• (5) Click New Driver and hit Next to continue on the New Driver Wizard

• (6) A list of manufacturers and printers will appear. Scroll down the list on the left to select HP as the manufacturer

• (7) On the right, select HP Deskjet 6980 series (HP)

• (8) Click Finish to complete the Wizard

• (9) Click Apply to save the new driver change, but don't close the Printer Properties window

• (10) Select the General tab and rename your printer at the top to HP Envy 5540

• (11) Click OK

Now that the new driver is added, test print a colour document. 

Let me know how this goes! 🙂

Christina - HP Instant Ink Support

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hey @NeilRog,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 

I'd like to assist you today with resolving this colour printing issue.

To start, let's try the steps here: Fixing Poor Print Quality

If you get to Step 13 and the issue persists, do not replace the cartridge. 

Let me know how this goes! 

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

It still hasn't helped.  The print quality diagnostic comes out fine but printing anything from emails or word documents is still in black and white only with the printer defaults on to print in colour

HP Recommended

Hey @NeilRog

Thanks for getting back to me 🙂

Because your printer prints colour on the standalone Quality Report, this issue is likely setting related on the computer.

Let's try running the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool. Please click here to download the Tool: HP Print and Scan Doctor 

Next, 'run' the Tool to 'fix printing' issues. If any driver, or software conflicts are found the Tool will attempt to resolve those conflicts for you.

Once the Print and Scan Doctor has completed, please test printing from your email or Word. 

Let me know how this goes! 

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hey @NeilRog,

I never heard back from you.

Do you still need assistance? 

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have run the print and scan doctor and after printing bothb a test page and a page from word, the printer is still printing only in black and white.  The scan doctor says the printer has proper HP colour ink and the cartridge is full.

Could it be a faulty cartridge?

HP Recommended

Hey @NeilRog,

Thanks for running the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool.

If the cartridge was faulty your printer wouldn't print colour on the standalone Print Quality Diagnostic report. Rather, the issue only appears to occur when your print from your computer - this leads me to believe that there is a setting/driver conflict occurring between your printer and the computer. 

Let's try the following steps:

• (1) On your computer, open up the Devices and Printers window

• (2) Right click on your Envy 5540

• (3) Left click on Printer Properties

• (4) Select the Advanced tab along the top

• (5) Click New Driver and hit Next to continue on the New Driver Wizard

• (6) A list of manufacturers and printers will appear. Scroll down the list on the left to select HP as the manufacturer

• (7) On the right, select HP Deskjet 6980 series (HP)

• (8) Click Finish to complete the Wizard

• (9) Click Apply to save the new driver change, but don't close the Printer Properties window

• (10) Select the General tab and rename your printer at the top to HP Envy 5540

• (11) Click OK

Now that the new driver is added, test print a colour document. 

Let me know how this goes! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have an Asus computer and there is no 'devices and printers' window.  I located the printer under the 'Network' button but when I get down to item 4 on your suggested steps, there is no 'advanced' tab along the top.  All it does is come up with 'network device' which only has an ok or cancel button at the bottom.

The printer has a separate tab under the HP window.  When i left click on that tab it brings up the HP Printer Assistant with the tabs across the top of HP Connected, print & Scan, Shop, Help, Tools, Quiet Mode plus ink cartridge levels.  Right clicking on it gives me nothing meaningful and gets me nowhere.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information 🙂 

Your computer is running Windows 10, right? If you're not sure, see here for help: What's my OS?

If so, below are steps for one of the ways to open Devices and Printers:

• (1) Right click on the Start icon on the bottom left hand corner of your computer screen

• (2) Left click on Control Panel 

• (3) In the search field on the top right of the Control Panel, type Printer 

• (4) Click 'View Devices and Printers' under the Devices and Printers category. Your Printer folder will now open.

At this point you should be able to complete the steps I previously provided. 

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I get as far as point 7 - but then there is no HP Deskjet 6980 series listed on the right hand side.  I tried choosing the Envy 5540 series but once through the wizard the 'apply' button won't highlight - presumably because that driver is already loaded

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.