Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Photo 7800 All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I cannot print pictures from my computer to my printer on 4x6 photo paper.  I can only print from the Main Tray. The photo tray is grayed out and does not respond to touch. When I open "Printing Preferences" , all options have a lock on them.  I can change the "Paper Source" to photo tray, but it does not respond on the printer's home page when I load the photo paper in. Only the "Main Tray" is highlighted. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@AHAS2

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY Photo 7800 All-in-One Printer and it does not print from the photo tray. The photo tray options is greyed out and does not respond to touch. The options in printing references have a lock on them. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

To assist you better, I would like to know the following information:

• Did any software changes or updates happen on the computer?
  • Please try to make a photocopy by placing the photo paper in the photo tray. Remove all other paper out. If the printer successfully makes a copy then it is not a hardware issue. 

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor software. This is a free tool for Windows to help resolve issues with the printer drivers. If the options are still locked out after running the HP Print and Scan Doctor then let us uninstall the printer drivers from the root level and then reinstall them. The following steps will help:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • You may download and install the drivers from this link

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please feel free to let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem.

I came here for a **bleep** solution, and reading this support reply prompted me to create an account and reply here that this was the absolutely  worthless reply to the problem, and exactly why NO ONE trusts your support, or pretty much any "support" anymore.

Your reply forgot however, making sure the PC is plugged in. Making sure that it's connected to the internet to download more inane crap and bloatware from your site. And making sure that every single update, from the mouse to the BIOS, is installed,  and completed with a restart of the PC several times, and  THEN updates to your printer driver again from the HP site.

I've got the same problem. I'm not printing from a PC.  I load 4x6 paper.  It says it's 5x7 paper. I CANNOT CHANGE IT ON THE PRINTER, BECAUSE IT"S GRAYED OUT.

Solve your **bleep** product issues HP.  Don't put it back on the consumers.

HP Recommended

THIS IS HOW YOU PROVIDE SUPPORT -

In my case, I was not using a PC to print.  I was on an Android phone, and printing via the HP Smart app.

In the HP Smart app, click on the picture of your printer (not real obvious as an option).  This will then take you to a printer status display. 

Under Preferences, there is a Tray and Paper option.  Click on that, and it will connect to the printer itself.  If you happen to know your local IP address of your printer, you can just enter it into a browser on your PC to get to a management page).

Disregard and move on/accept through any security warnings about unsigned certificates (it's all a local connection on your own network between your own devices).

Here, you can finally edit the photo paper tray size.

If you entered the IP address of your printer into your browser, after accepting all of the security warnings and certificates, you'll get to the home page of your printer.

Click on SETTINGS from the top bar, and then Tray and Paper Management from the left bar.

Change the photo try size here.

Jesus, HP.  Could you make this more of a pain in the ass?  Why is the option grayed out to begin with?  Your system obviously isn't determining the paper size.  So why can't we change it from the printer screen itself?  Ugggh.

Hope this helps someone, unlike HP's lackluster support.  😕

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.