Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to color print on black card stock paper on my Officejet 8720 from MS Word / Powerpoint, but no colors print. Only black prints on black paper which is clearly not useful. Thought maybe it was a font issue, so I tried an image, but no luck. Tried setting the paper color to black in MS Word; no luck. What gives? Is this think simply unable to print on black paper?!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The black paper absorbs colour, the white paper reflects colour, maybe your printer prints on black paper but because of black paper, it's almost invisible.

You can't expect a yellow colour to be the same intensity on black paper and on white paper.

Does it print yellow on white paper?

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

If I print black ink on black paper, I can see the raised profile of the printed image, but with any other color, no raised image. No evidence that any ink was actually put onto the paper. 

HP Recommended

Does it print yellow on white paper?

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Yes it does.  A bit more research on the topic reveals that I would need to replace the black ink cartridge with white ink cartridge to print on black paper. HP doesn't offer/support a white cartridge for this printer. I'll need to try a different (likely professional) printing method.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.