Highlighted
4 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Trying to setup a new HP Envy Photo 7855 confused about security issues

HP ENVY Photo 7800 All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to set up a new HP Envy Photo 7855 printer.  When I go to download software from HP, I get this popup message: "Information regarding recent vulnerabilities

HP is aware of the recent class of vulnerabilities..." It has a link to click on so I did that. However, aside from downloading all of the windows updates, the rest of what I need to do I am unsure of. Also, one of the windows updates failed: 

2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4056894)

Installation date: ‎1/‎20/‎2018 10:47 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80242016

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

I will also add that I wanted to set up a direct connection from my laptop to the printer and by pass the wireless altogether. However, the setup automatically connected wirelessly. I could print out a test page but on my list of Wireless  Network Connections it had the printer listed as public and vulnerable. I really quick shut down the printer and uninstalled all the software except for the HP photo creations.

My questions are: Can I set up this printer to connect directly to my laptop? If so, how? Or, if I set this up wirelessly (the best option), how can I do this securely? 

Thank you for your help in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,294 1,994
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @bblack4jc, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand when you are trying to setup your printer you are getting Information regarding recent vulnerabilities on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

As you mentioned when you are trying to setup your printer you are getting notifications regarding recent vulnerabilities on your PC.

This message is related to your PC and not related to your printer. So, you don't have to worry about the printer.

Try running some antivirus program on your PC to keep the PC secured.

Also, when you set up your printer you are getting printer listed as public and vulnerable.

It sounds like you have not set up any password to the wireless network that printer is connected to.

To set up the password for your network try the steps recommended below.

Open Settings.
Click on Network & Security.
Click on Wi-Fi.
Click the Manage known networks link.
Click the network you are connecting your printer to
Using the drop-down menu, select the network security type.

Type the password you like.

Note: Make sure you remember the password. 
Check the Connect automatically option.
Check the Connect even if the network is not broadcasting option.
Click Save.

Once you set up the network password, connect your printer to the same network and type the password you have set up for the network.

By this way you can keep your printer secured wirelessly. If you have issues setting up a password for your network. Please contact your Internet service provider they should help you in setting up a password for the network.

Or you can connect your printer to the network by following the steps recommended below.

Connect the printer to your network with the Wireless Setup Wizard so the HP installer can find the printer during the installation.

1. On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Wireless icon .

2. Touch the Setup icon.

3. Touch Network Setup.

4. Touch Wireless Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

Figure : Wireless Settings menu

Example of Wireless Settings menu
  5. Touch the name of your network in the list of available networks, and then touch OK.

Figure : Example of network names

Example of network names
  6. If the list does not display your network name, touch Enter New Network Name, and then follow the on-screen instructions to enter your network name.

7. If prompted, type the WEP or WPA key (network password), and then touch Done.

A summary screen displays.

8. Touch OK to return to the home screen.

note:

If a connection error message displays, make sure you typed the uppercase (capital) and lowercase (small) letters for the network name and password exactly. Follow the prompts to type the information again.

Refer this article to know more information about wireless printer setup.

If you would like to set up your printer using a USB try the steps recommended in this article.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am trying to get my wireleses to recognize my new HP Envy Photo 7855.  It keeps asking me for my security key.  Where do I find that?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation