Ed375
4 3 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

USB Vs Wifi hookup & obsolete browser

Officejet 6600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am installing an older printer on a new desktop. The Officejet6600 can connect with both USB cable and wireless.

It connects with my laptop by my wireless network. My previous desktop connected with it by USB. When I installed the software on my new desktop, the instructions told me that I would lose some options if I connected with USB and did not connect wireless, NO explanation. The software would only let me choose one option. I chose wireless.

The installation then went on to have me register the device (AGAIN) and used Internet Explorer 11 to do that.

WHY? , when I have Edge,  FireFox 72.0.2 and Chrome available on the desktop? ( I didn't know Windows 10 had Internet Explorer11 available!)

Thirty years ago, I was in an intelligence career field, in the military. I prefer wired to wireless, if I have a choice.    E.H.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
2,298 2,298 106 184
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Ed375 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you would like to know the difference between USB VS Wifi.

Do not worry. I will try to help you in this regard.

You can use a USB connection, but using wireless gives additional options like receiving updates, scan to email, etc

You have set the internet explorer as default browser and hence it would have popped up in that browser.

Please see the below video on how to connect the printer using USB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHtYKefdZ7c

Also, you can refer the following link to configure the printer using USB

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

0 Kudos
Ed375
4 3 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I joined the HP community some years ago. My previous two desktop computers were Compact Form Factor referbs.

A Pentium 4 - 7100,, and the last a HP Compaq 8200 elite, i5-2400.

I set Firefox 72.0 (now 73.0) as my default browser, immediately after I added it a month or so ago. Windows 10 comes with Edge Browser, and the tech who built this machine for me installed Chrome, though I don't use it. HP's SOFTWARE CHOSE TO OPEN Internet Explorer 11 instead of a more current browser.

I connected this printer to my previous desktop via USB after I bought it, so I know how to connect it via USB. It was ALSO set up to use WiFi with my desktop, showing the same printer twice. Once as a USB printer and again as a WiFi (LAN) printer.

I connect my laptop to the internet AND TO THIS PRINTER via WiFi, added at least three years ago. What I don't know is what some of the options that only work with WiFi happen to be. My printer of OFF until I want to scan or print something, or I am notified of an available update. My first HP printer was connected by parallel port, before USB became available on any computers.

No thumbs up.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
2,298 2,298 106 184
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Ed375

I understand your concerns.

HP will recommend using the Internet Explorer to download install the drivers.

Please perform the clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.       In Windows, search for and open Programs and features   

2.       Select your HP Printer   

3.       Select Uninstall   

4.       In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers   

5.       In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’   

6.       Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.   

7.       Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)   

8.       Click on the “Drivers” tab   

9.       Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom   

10.   Select Ok   

11.   Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows   

12.   Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer. 

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Have a nice day!!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation