Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 5510
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I first attempted to install the new security patched firmware for my Photosmart 5510 (firmware v. R1829A) from my Mac only to be told that there were no available updates for it (though the printer stated clearly that it was not running anything close to the latest firmware.

Then I tried switching to my PC (Windows 7 64 bit) and it the HP Self Service support page presented me with two different firmware updaters instead of just the one I'd seen under OS X. Thinking about past experiences with Windows updates I elected to run the older one (v. R1629A) first. This appears to have installed successfully, however now that I'm attempt to run the newer updater (v. R1829A) I am informed that the new firmware is "Not applicable" to my device dispite the fact that my printer currently displays it's firmware as "EPP1CN1629AR" with a revision date of July 15, 2016. 

unknown.png

I have attempted to restart both my PC and the printer to no avail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@a_hoot,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I am sending you a private message suggesting next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@a_hoot,

Thank you for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums! I see from your post that you are having issues related to Firmware for your HP photosmart printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

Let's try to do a hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to do an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have now attempted:

1) Hard Reset (completed successfully)

2) An Advanced Reset (Instructions supplied did not match the options on my printer)

3) Restore to factory defaults (completed successfully)

None of these have allowed the updater on either OS X or Window 7 to correctly identify the printer as an appropriate target for updating (dispite indicating that the printer is still running an earlier firmware version).

HP Recommended

@a_hoot,

I am responding on behalf of @Jeet_singh as he is out for the day. It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article to update the printer firmware and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8210-printer-series/7902063/document/c02919168

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi The_Fossette,

Thank you for trying to help! I tried both sets of instructions in the link you provided and neither one has worked. Enabling ePrint and having it check for itself looked promising, as it displayed the progress disk for a minute or two, but after it completed the about page is still indicating that i'm running 1629AR.

Attempting to manually update via the app downloaded from HP's support site continues to behave as it has. Update software sees the printer (and on the PC even identifies that it does not have the latest firmware) but will not allow me to select the printer or proceed to update it.

HP Recommended

@a_hoot,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I am sending you a private message suggesting next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Turns out that although I'm still having trouble installing the "latest" firmware update, it's not even the one I need in order to patch the recent security flaw. Why? Because that patch hasn't even been released for the 5510 yet. Thanks @The_Fossette for connecting me with tech support to sort out the issue!

HP Recommended

@a_hoot

Thanks for responding,

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Flower_Bud & I'm at your service.

You're welcome,

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us.

HP Recommended

Please can I just ask why I am seeing multiple instances where support is being provided via private message rather than in the open where other visitors can access them?

What is the point of an open support forum like this if solutions are posted privately? Surely it completely defeats the purpose of a forum?

HP Recommended

HP Doktor states printing is correctHP doktor states: scanning communicatione problems.....

Weard thing is: sometimes it works some tine it does not

Not working as is not able to fully communicate with (scanner) part of) printer..

New feature: a SD card is required to be present all the times... if not printer wakes up with: SD card reading error.... I never asked to read such a card??

SO I was thinking (after hours of upgrading/ deleting reinstalling HP software on several devices (HP laptop one of these devices)... 'problem remains...

How can I force to rewrite the firmware to the scanner part? Printer report states: last update is installed... version numbers do match

Is there an other advanced way to reset?

(The next suggestion is taken from this support-string from a HP representatives responce:

""If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to do an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner ""

Please help

Any usefull suggestion wil be highly appreciated

AARI

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.