Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have reinstalled HP software for my Officeket 4500 to solve an issue with drivers that was affecting printing quality.

During reinstallation, a window pops up asking to connect USB cable to PC. I connect it, but nothing happens and the only one option to move forward is to skip installation.

At the end it seems that I can print, but HP Solution Center is installed but not able to connect with printer. That is imparing the usage of scanner.

Can you help me, please?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Take a look at this support doc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I followed the support doc. I finally was able to confirm that printing is working (test page succesfully printed), but HP Solutions Center is still NOT able to communicate with the printer.

As it stands now, I am able to print, but I cannot use the scanner.

What's the problem now?

HP Recommended

Are you running any type of anti-virus program?

Can you check the Windows system files by running a sfc /scannow from a command prompt? 

Click here for more info on the sfc command.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes, I have Avira Antivirus installed on my PC, which is up and running.

Not sure if Windows 10 is also running some sort of protection.

I will do the sfc command and come back to you with the outcomes.

HP Recommended

Windows 10 does not need any anti-virus programs, the built-in Windows Security program works just fine.

HP Recommended

I have uninstalled Avira Antivirus, now I have only Windows 10 protection.

I did sfc /scannow command: no errors detected.

HP Solutions Center is still not able to communicate with my printer. In particular, I cannot use the scanner.

Please, support.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Did you install the HP Officejet full feature software & driver ver. 14.8.0?

To test the printer are you able to print a copy ok?

HP Recommended

Yes, I installed the full package. Also tried to uninstall and reinstall.

Yes, I can make a copy.

HP Recommended

I have one final suggestion, uninstall the printer software and driver using the below method.
· In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
· Select your HP printer.
· Select Uninstall.
· In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
· In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
· Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
· Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
· Click on Drivers tab.
· Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
· Select OK.
· Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
· Close Devices and Printers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.