Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Envy 4520 is connected via wifi home network. I can scan, but not print or copy. The black does not print. Ink level is half for both color and black in the genuine HP cartridges. Print quality report printed out the color but no black. Tried to copy , only the color part was copied, all the black letters did not copy. Help!!  

Uninstalled and re-installed HP software and driver to my PC. it didn't help.

Used HP Printer Assistant, went to Device Reports, printed Diagnostic Information. Colors printed out seems to be ok. Black printed out very smeared almost unrecognizable or completely missing. When I tried to print a PDF page form my document, no color printed out, only black (very smeared or completely missing)

Any suggestion is appreciated!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Rdinh2004

Thanks for trying. I have sent you a Private Message with the details about the next course of action.

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

To help the community find this post, click here to access our public post and Select - "Accept as solution", have a good day.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Rdinh2004

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, the printer is not printing in black. 

Appreciate you trying the steps. Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

Let's try these steps -

Step 1 Clean the ink cartridges -

1) On the printer control panel, press the Down Arrow to select Tools, and then press OK.
2) Press the Down Arrow to select Clean Printhead, and then press OK. The printer cleans the printhead and then prints a printhead test page.

Step 2 Align the printer -

1) On the printer control panel, press the down arrow to select Align Printer, and then press OK.
The printer prints a test page, and then prompts you to scan the page.
2) Place the alignment page with the print side down on the scanner glass. Position it according to the engraved guides around the glass.
3) Close the scanner lid, and then touch OK.

Step 3 Manually clean the area around the ink nozzle -

1) Gather the following materials:

• Dry foam-rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that does not come apart or leave fibers (coffee filters work well)
  • Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the ink cartridges)

2) Make sure the printer is on.
3) Open the scanner lid.
4) Open the ink cartridge access door.
The carriage moves to the ink cartridge access area.
5) Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.
6) To release the ink cartridge, lift the lid on the ink cartridge slot, and then gently push the lid back until it stops.
7) Pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Image: Remove the ink cartridge.

😎 Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

Image: Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

9) Inspect the ink cartridge contacts for ink and debris buildup.
10) Lightly moisten a clean, foam-rubber swab with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.
11) Clean the face and edges around the ink nozzle with the swab.

Image: The ink nozzle and ink cartridge contacts.

12) Either let the ink cartridge sit for 10 minutes to allow the cleaned area to dry, or use a new swab to dry it.
13) Hold the ink cartridge at a slight upward angle with the ink cartridge contacts facing the rear of the printer, and then slide the ink cartridge into the empty slot.
14) Close the lid on the ink cartridge slot to secure the ink cartridge into place.
15) Repeat these steps to clean the area surrounding the ink nozzle on the other ink cartridge.
16) Close the ink cartridge access door and the scanner lid.
17) Try printing again.

Hope this helps!

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the blue "Thumbs up".  

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. Tried all the steps, didn't work. After cleaning , the printer even said if the issue is not resolved, contact tech support. 

HP Recommended

@Rdinh2004

Thanks for trying. I have sent you a Private Message with the details about the next course of action.

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

To help the community find this post, click here to access our public post and Select - "Accept as solution", have a good day.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran through all of these solutions and I am still unable to print or copy.  The printer thinks it is fine, it has both color and black ink, but I'm only getting very, very faint lines to print. 

HP Recommended

@RikDin, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you have already performed the steps from the document Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is there a reason why this solution is being kept a secret?
I too am having this problem and have tried all the troubleshooting recommended without being able to resolve the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.