Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4520
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I am ready to throw this thing out of the window...

Printer has been working for years. Wifi signal is good on the computer and on the printer (light is steady blue) but i cannot add the printer to the system for the life of me - I have reset the factry settings and refreshed the network a thousand times and nothing is working. I keep getting the error message:

Unable to verify the printer on your network.

Unable to connect to ‘HP ENVY 4520 series [1F4B79]._ipps._tcp.local.’ due to an error. Would you still like to create the printer?

The only thing im not sure of is the IP address and que information is blank.

Please help with any advice!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Ranulph

A warm welcome to HP Support Community!

It's possible that the wireless router is blocking or not able to forward multicast packets (Bonjour). Multicast packet (Bonjour) allows Apple devices to locate the printer on a WiFi network. Please contact your internet service provider or router manufacturer and check if the router is able to forward multicast packet. If the router is able to forward Bonjour packets then try the following steps:

1.) Use the steps available here to update Mac software.

2.) Use the steps available here to update the printer firmware. 

Once you update Mac Software and printer firmware, restart printer and both the devices and then try to print.

If issue persists, try the steps mentioned below in this document.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I was having the same issue and after troubleshooting for hours, I was able to resolve this issue. The way to resolve this is go into System Preferences > Network > Location > Edit Locations, and add a new location. This should reset the networking stack and allow you to add the printer with ease.

HP Recommended

CX417 used to work on my wireless network and now no longer does. Downloaded latest updates, drives nothing is working not even technical support!

HP Recommended

This did not work for me. Can you give me any other ideas? I have updated, downloaded, called technical support and nothing. It used to work on my wireless network and now does not. I get the message "unable to verify the printer on your network" did what you said and created new location and still did not work. Please help.

HP Recommended

I had the exact same issue. Resolved it by forcing the wifi network to broadcast only at 2.4ghz rather than dual 5/2.4 ghz (my macbook was connecting to the wifi network at 5ghz and the printer was connecting to the same wifi network at 2.4ghz - this was causing the install to fail).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.