Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6978

Hi - I have an OfficeJet Pro 6978 and have gotten stuck on the error 'Use SETUP cartridges that came with your printer' error. I went through the troubleshooting steps on the support site but that did not help. am trying to get a resolution and would appreciate the instructions specific to this printer. Thank you for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is it a new printer, or was the printer already initialized and used in the past?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

This had been initialized in the past. The printer is about 1.5 years old. This was not connected with a change of cartridges. In fact, it seems at though the printer had rebooted for some reason.

HP Recommended

Meaning: there was a menu that I had not seen before (blue with a check mark?). I just remember the blue because it made me think of pc type blue screen.

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying.

I suggest contacting HP Support directly, a such will likely require to service the printer:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/hp-officejet-pro-6970-all-in-one-printer-series/8289...

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help/response: I did contact them and received a ticket number (December 5) but it is not clear to me how to check status of that. I received only a confirmation but information on how to check status, follow up or when/if I would get a reply. Case ID [edit]. How does one check status for this?

HP Recommended

When receiving a case number, you should have the phone details listed too

HP Recommended

There were no phone details: the printer is out of warranty but I had expected to be able to have an option to have a direct contact. Here is the content of the email confirming receipt:

Thank you for contacting HP Support.  This email confirms your request for service; the details of your Case are below.

Please DO NOT REPLY to this email.  It is sent from an unmonitored automatic service.  

Case number: [edit]

Product Description: HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer

Product Number: T0F29A

Serial Number: xxxxxx

Case Subject: Printer reset itself and is now stuck on initialization process asking to 'Use SETUP Cartridges'. I followed steps provided on troubleshooting page https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03107170 but reseating did not work.

Problem Description: Printer reset itself and is now stuck on initialization process asking to 'Use SETUP Cartridges'. I followed steps provided on troubleshooting page https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03107170 but reseating did not work.

Portal Case URL: N/A

For all your product support needs, please visit support.hp.com and select your product or support option. 

Yours Sincerely,

HP Inc

THIS NOTIFICATION HAS BEEN SENT AUTOMATICALLY. DO NOT REPLY.

This is an e-mail message from HP.  The information contained in this communication is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Use of this communication by others is prohibited. If the e-mail message was sent to you by mistake, please destroy it without reading, using, copying or disclosing its contents to any other person. We accept no liability for damage related to data and/or documents which are communicated by electronic mail.

HP is committed to respecting your privacy. For specific guidelines, read HP's privacy policy at www.hp.com under the privacy link at the bottom of the page.

HP Recommended

@mrwarne

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.