Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The "Virtual Support" is virtually useless. After crawling through irrelevant follow-up questions, I gave up.

Basically, even after doing a Windows 10 update, the print queue appears but does not show the jobs. I can still print, but that's a problem when I'm trying to cancel a job.

This has only happened recently. Can't say how recently, since I hardly use my printer, but probably since March. And the robot doesn't understand the issue at all.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@chezjim 

Edits - Removed part of the content - not relevant to the eventual solution

The Virtual Agent does not have any idea what to do with this. 

If the print queue is broken or in distress, you would not normally be able to print.

That said, some, part, or none of the following may help...

What to do?

First, try this version of the doctor:

HPPSdr.exe

Information / version file

HPPSdr.xml

[Content Removed]

Reference / Instructions

Print Job Stuck in Queue - Scroll down to Additional Troubleshooting

[Content Removed]

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

OK, so it looks like it's fixed, though I'm not sure at what step.

I did everything above with no results. But meanwhile I had been confused that I didn't see my printer under Printers and Devices for Settings, only the Fax version. I ended up re-installing a driver with ALMOST the same name, but PCL after it.

Long story short, running the Doctor showed me TWO printers. So I dumped the more recent one. Leaving me with NO entry for the printer under Settings. Only, it seems the print queue gets ported over to HP's app, and the one under Settings disappears (which I didn't know). And the one under the app works. I think.

Thanks for your help.
jC

HP Recommended

@chezjim 

You are welcome - I am glad it is sorted.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.