Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OFFICEJET 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer was not printing the black color at all so I replaced the ink cartridges. Now the print and copy functions both skip lines. It usually prints 1 row then skips 2 rows, ie. leaves them blank. I changed the font color to red and it works fine.  However I can't always change the color if I print a picture or copy anything. I have already updated the driver for my printer and I have used the diagnostic tools to clean the printer and align the printer heads. When i try to scan the alignment page the printer says it could no detect the page.  Can this be fixed or do I just need to buy a new printer?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @CWRCWR2

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. It seems like the issue is with the black ink cartridge. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Remove the tricolor ink cartridge and clean the black ink cartridge

1. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

2. Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Cartridges.

• If the print quality is unacceptable, touch OK for a Second-level Cleaning when prompted to continue the next level of cleaning.

NOTE: 

If the ink cartridge nozzles are badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform both levels of cleaning again.

3. Try to print. If the print quality is unacceptable, continue to the next step.

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzles

Perform step 14 from this document.

Print a print quality report

On the printer, go to Setup > Tools > Print quality report

Also, try to align the printer

Setup > Tools > Align printer

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions you gave me and I am still having the same problem. The first line is printed okay but the next 2 lines are blank and then the 4th line is okay and the next 2 lines are blank and then the rest of the lines repeat this same pattern.

HP Recommended

@CWRCWR2, It seems like the issue is with the black ink cartridge. Have you tried using an alternate black ink cartridge if available to check if the issue persists?

Please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i thought there might be a simple solution, gut it seems that it will be less expensive to buy another printer instead of repairing this one.

HP Recommended

The most likely cause would be an electrical connection issue between the cartridge and printer, or a defective cartridge.  I would start by cleaning the cartridge and printer contacts as shown in the document here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I agree. And not an HP next time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.