Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
office inkjet pro 6960
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I want to know why my printer running out of ink quickly, I've brought brand new ink official Hp ones not the XL version and have printed only 39 pages maximum these are not highly dense print very. basic prints most of it, all in black and white I set up the setting as soon as the inks were installed and the funny thing is the yellow is more or less finished and I've not printed a single thing in colour and yes I did select the option to black and white, I now need to buy more ink but I'm deciding is it better I just sell the printer instead?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Darrencampbell, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Do you get any errors related to the ink cartridges?

• Printing photos consume more ink than printing documents/text on a regular paper.
  • This printer is designed in such a way that it balances the use of ink among all the ink cartridges. Even if you are printing only in black, some amount of color ink is used to produce the best print quality.
  • For more information about cartridge yields and ink use, click here

Also, printing in BEST quality mode utilizes more ink than printing in NORMAL or DRAFT mode

To check/change the print settings on the MAC, refer to this document.

Update the printer firmware

On the printer, go to Setup > Tools > Printer maintenance > Update the printer > Check now.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.