Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am considering a laser printer for the Pulsar Printed Circuit transfer process. Recommended resolution is 1200 dpi. The HP LaserJet Pro P1102 is in my price range, the resolution "advertised" is 600 x 600 X2 is "effectively 1200 dpi". Will this printer suffice? The process involves "refusing" the toner to a copper clad board and an additional process of adding resist to the toner. Any help is greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

There are various methods used to improve print quality in laser printers.  The method used in the P1102 is also known as FastRes 1200.  

What is the minimum line and spaces you will be making with the toner transfer methods? For 10 mil lines and spaces or larger I would expect this printer would be fine.  I have seen some folks report having success at 6 mil lines and spaces with some care to correct artwork gaps.  With some proto board places offering double sided boards for a little as $1/sq inch it has been a few years since I made a board using toner transfer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob,

Thanks a lot. I have information that the printer in question has issues in the process, unable to deliver the desired density. I have additional information from the imaging manufacturer to assist in choosing the proper printer. In the meantime, I am pursuing an alternate method of imaging...positive resist using inkjet transparencies.

HP Recommended

Best of luck in the process.  Before I did the toner transfer method I used to use the resist covered boards.  I did not like that method as much, it was some trouble to get the exposure right and more expensive for the resist covered boards.  I also tried the spray on resist but generally had issues with those on getting good coverage without bubbles or other imperfections in the resist.

While there is a certain satisfaction in making your own you might look at alternatives like this.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks, it looks interesting, I may give it a try. I need to get up to speed with Eagle, my current design is "plain" Intellicad.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.