Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

What is the HP Digital Imaging Monitor? Does it apply to my OS, Windows 7? I want to delete the icon from the task tray (tool bar in lower right hand corner of screen) as I never use it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Picardjc wrote that "Digital imaging monitor is a part of the HP software that communicates with your HP printer. This program enables you to read the inklevels, get an out of paper message, scan from the unit to the comuter and so on. Its not neccesary, but it will limit the printers use if you remove it." Understood. But for my HP Officejet Pro 8000 A809a printer, what is the purpose of having the Digital Imaging Monitor icon in the Windows7 sp1 taskbar Notification Area (aka System Tray)? My A809a is NOT an all-in-one that includes a scanner; it simply is a very good printer. When I start to print something, if ink or paper is needed, that information shows up on my computer screen. So I ask again: Why is the Digital Imaging Monitor icon on the taskbar? I just now clicked that icon (I'm not printing anything, but as usual the printer is turned on), and nothing happened. R.N. (Roger) Folsom ________________________________________________________________ P.S. Below I will post some other discussions (with links to their locations) of the Digital Imaging Monitor, which I discovered before finding this website on which I am now writing. There is a wide variety of opinions about what the Digital Imaging Monitor does. HP Digital Imaging Monitor is the system tray access to HP director. It's required if you prefer to use the all-in-one buttons on an HP all in one printer to manually scan documents or transfer photos from a camera. Closing the HP digital imaging monitor icon in the Windows system tray can cause the HP all-in-one to lose some of its scan functionality and result in the no connection error message. If this happens, you can restore full functionality by restarting the computer or by starting the HP digital imaging monitor. SOURCE: Yahoo http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080115093754AAlajpq ---------------------------------------------------------------- Re: REMOVING HP Digital Imaging Monitor from Systray? [Edited] 08-03-2011 02:05 PM - edited ?08-03-2011 02:08 PM Yes, it is safe to remove. I believe it's usually found in the program group under Start / All Programs / Startup. Just navigate there under the Start button, right-click on it and delete! If it's not there, then remove it from the Registry: Run regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and delete it in the list on the right pane. If it's not there, then try HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run This is better than using msconfig and unchecking it. In my opinion, msconfig should always be set to Normal Startup. Your printer will still print without that annoying obstructive utility called Digital Imaging Monitor. Ciao! Casey Henderson, MCP SOURCE: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Web-Printing-Software/REMOVING-HP-Digital-Imaging-Monitor-from-Systray/...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Digital imaging monitor is a part of the HP software that communicates with your HP printer. This program enables you to read the inklevels, get an out of paper message, scan from the unit to the comuter and so on. Its not neccesary, but it will limit the printers use if you remove it.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

HP Recommended
Picardjc wrote that "Digital imaging monitor is a part of the HP software that communicates with your HP printer. This program enables you to read the inklevels, get an out of paper message, scan from the unit to the comuter and so on. Its not neccesary, but it will limit the printers use if you remove it." Understood. But for my HP Officejet Pro 8000 A809a printer, what is the purpose of having the Digital Imaging Monitor icon in the Windows7 sp1 taskbar Notification Area (aka System Tray)? My A809a is NOT an all-in-one that includes a scanner; it simply is a very good printer. When I start to print something, if ink or paper is needed, that information shows up on my computer screen. So I ask again: Why is the Digital Imaging Monitor icon on the taskbar? I just now clicked that icon (I'm not printing anything, but as usual the printer is turned on), and nothing happened. R.N. (Roger) Folsom ________________________________________________________________ P.S. Below I will post some other discussions (with links to their locations) of the Digital Imaging Monitor, which I discovered before finding this website on which I am now writing. There is a wide variety of opinions about what the Digital Imaging Monitor does. HP Digital Imaging Monitor is the system tray access to HP director. It's required if you prefer to use the all-in-one buttons on an HP all in one printer to manually scan documents or transfer photos from a camera. Closing the HP digital imaging monitor icon in the Windows system tray can cause the HP all-in-one to lose some of its scan functionality and result in the no connection error message. If this happens, you can restore full functionality by restarting the computer or by starting the HP digital imaging monitor. SOURCE: Yahoo http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080115093754AAlajpq ---------------------------------------------------------------- Re: REMOVING HP Digital Imaging Monitor from Systray? [Edited] 08-03-2011 02:05 PM - edited ?08-03-2011 02:08 PM Yes, it is safe to remove. I believe it's usually found in the program group under Start / All Programs / Startup. Just navigate there under the Start button, right-click on it and delete! If it's not there, then remove it from the Registry: Run regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and delete it in the list on the right pane. If it's not there, then try HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run This is better than using msconfig and unchecking it. In my opinion, msconfig should always be set to Normal Startup. Your printer will still print without that annoying obstructive utility called Digital Imaging Monitor. Ciao! Casey Henderson, MCP SOURCE: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Web-Printing-Software/REMOVING-HP-Digital-Imaging-Monitor-from-Systray/...
HP Recommended

Thank you for your post regarding HP Digital Imaging Monitor. Much appreciated.

HP Recommended

how can i gety a copy of the imaging monitor program. I switched computers and os and it got dropped. I have an HP 6500 and a computer with windows 7.

HP Recommended

It's great to know what this is...but now that I know I need to ask a much more important question:  When my Windows 10 computer is idle, why is this program (HP Digital Imaging Monitor) using more CPU resource than any other process running in my computer?  It's routinely running at 2% to 3% of the CPU when I am doing absolutely nothing.  Some people may think this is a small portion of the system, but once I start doing work it's still using the same 2% to 3% of my system.  

I see no reason why this should be doing so much work inside my system when I'm not doing anything -- especially doing nothing with any type of connection to the printer.

Can't you slow down it's querying of the printer's information?  It doesn't need to check ink levels everything millisecond or two!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Does it help my Windows 10?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.