Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp 3630 printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP 3630 printer cuts off the top half of capital letters.  It's like it prints only one in three lines.  I'm trying to print out guitar chord sheets and it won't print the chords.  It prints the lyrics but not the chords.  Also, the magenta color will not print on my test page.  Could this cause this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@rog10harm

Welcome to HP support community.

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzle

1. Gather the following materials:

• Dry foam-rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that does not come apart or leave fibers (coffee filters work well)

• Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the ink cartridges)

CAUTION: 

Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the ink cartridge contacts. These can damage the ink cartridge or the printer.

2. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

3. Open the exterior door, and then grasp the handle and lower the ink cartridge access door to open it.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

Figure : Open the ink cartridge access door

Image: Open the ink cartridge access door
  4. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

5. Lightly press down on one of the ink cartridges to release it, and then pull the ink cartridge toward you out of its slot.

Figure : Press down to remove the ink cartridge

Image: Press down to remove the ink cartridge
       CAUTION: 

Do not remove both ink cartridges at the same time. Remove and clean each ink cartridge one at a time. Do not leave an ink cartridge outside the printer for more than 30 minutes.

6. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

Figure : Hold the ink cartridge by its sides

Image: Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.
  7. Inspect the ink cartridge contacts for ink and debris buildup.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Figure : Do not touch the contacts or nozzles

Image: Do not touch the contacts or nozzles.
  8. Lightly moisten a foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

9. Clean the face and edges around the ink nozzle with the swab.

CAUTION: 

Do not clean the ink nozzle plate.

Figure : Clean the area around the ink nozzle

Image: The ink nozzle and ink cartridge contacts.

Nozzle plate - Do not clean

2. Area surrounding ink nozzle - Do clean

3. Ink cartridge contacts - Do not clean

10. Either let the ink cartridge sit for 10 minutes to allow the cleaned area to dry, or use a new swab to dry it.

11. Slide each ink cartridge at a slight upward angle into the empty slot, and then gently push up on each ink cartridge until it locks into place.

Figure : Push the ink cartridge into its slot

Image: Push the ink cartridge into its slot until it locks into place.
  12. Repeat these steps to clean around the nozzles on the other ink cartridge.

13. Close the ink cartridge access door.

14. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

15. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it does not turn on automatically.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@rog10harm

Welcome to HP support community.

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzle

1. Gather the following materials:

• Dry foam-rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that does not come apart or leave fibers (coffee filters work well)

• Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the ink cartridges)

CAUTION: 

Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the ink cartridge contacts. These can damage the ink cartridge or the printer.

2. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

3. Open the exterior door, and then grasp the handle and lower the ink cartridge access door to open it.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

Figure : Open the ink cartridge access door

Image: Open the ink cartridge access door
  4. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

5. Lightly press down on one of the ink cartridges to release it, and then pull the ink cartridge toward you out of its slot.

Figure : Press down to remove the ink cartridge

Image: Press down to remove the ink cartridge
       CAUTION: 

Do not remove both ink cartridges at the same time. Remove and clean each ink cartridge one at a time. Do not leave an ink cartridge outside the printer for more than 30 minutes.

6. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

Figure : Hold the ink cartridge by its sides

Image: Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.
  7. Inspect the ink cartridge contacts for ink and debris buildup.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Figure : Do not touch the contacts or nozzles

Image: Do not touch the contacts or nozzles.
  8. Lightly moisten a foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

9. Clean the face and edges around the ink nozzle with the swab.

CAUTION: 

Do not clean the ink nozzle plate.

Figure : Clean the area around the ink nozzle

Image: The ink nozzle and ink cartridge contacts.

Nozzle plate - Do not clean

2. Area surrounding ink nozzle - Do clean

3. Ink cartridge contacts - Do not clean

10. Either let the ink cartridge sit for 10 minutes to allow the cleaned area to dry, or use a new swab to dry it.

11. Slide each ink cartridge at a slight upward angle into the empty slot, and then gently push up on each ink cartridge until it locks into place.

Figure : Push the ink cartridge into its slot

Image: Push the ink cartridge into its slot until it locks into place.
  12. Repeat these steps to clean around the nozzles on the other ink cartridge.

13. Close the ink cartridge access door.

14. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

15. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it does not turn on automatically.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  Your solution worked for the black ink cartridge.  The tri color ink cartridge still has no magenta.  

I'm sure it's from lack of use.  Maybe the magenta is totally dried up.

HP Recommended

@rog10harm

This sounds like a issue wilt the cartridge.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I got a case number about 2 weeks ago.  I still haven't heard anything back from them.  Meanwhile, my black ink ran out from running so many cleaning cycles, so I will probably just get both ink cartridges and call it good.

Thanks for all your help Sandytechy 20.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.