Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
all HP printers

Please let me know which current HP printers can print on 3x4 cut card stock (not Avery 8.5x11 3x4 labels sheet).

My HP8600 could print 3x4 ( it failed so was replaced)

My HP8620 can print on 3x4 but wont last forever.

My new HP8710 cannot print 3x4. It can print 3x5 OK. It senses the short paper which is not a supported size - really daft.

I need to buy a new desktop printer to print over a thousand name badges one at a time to insert into name bage holders.

We cannot be the only firm that organises infrequent conferences and needs to print name badges!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@WillieF,

I would ask why you prefer 3x4 card stock.

Using the standard business card stock (10 per sheet) and the plastic card holder with clip is what I use.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

We have to print over 1,400 name badges in advance of an event. Printing on Avery 8.5"x11" sheets requires separating the  6 cards from the borders at the perforations  which is time consuming and reprinting a single name badge is difficult.

Printing on pre-cut 3"x4" card stock (cheaper and better quality card) is quick and simple and cards can be scrutinised (and corrected as necessary) , inserted into the vinyl name badge holders and into storage/transporter boxes and one continuous process. Simple and easy. 

Our work around may be to order 3"x8" card stock with perforations at the 4" mark so that we can quickly fold them to 3"x4".

- Does HP have a printer in its current line up that can print on 3"x4" card stock. 

- Alternatively can the HP printer paper type sensor be disabled manually or through software.

HP Recommended

I have this same exact question. I need a Photo ID Badge printer that can print one at a time on card stock instead of PVC material.

Using PVC is just a waste for my purposes and I also need 3X4.

I make ID badges that go in a sleeve on a lanyard and I have to fill our photo boards and it's a huge pain to replace one person, when you've got a sheet of 6. That means 5 pieces of stock are going to be wasted.

pc/nametag.com  would be perfect if you could print photos and format them vertically or horizontally (waiting on printer expert to call me back to find that out)

Did you ever find a printer to fit your needs???!!

HP Recommended

Did you ever figure out a workaround?  WE're having same issue.

HP Recommended

We found a workaround. Because we want the name badges to fit in a standard 3”x4” vinyl name badge holder we ordered a supply of 3”x5” cards from a local print shop with a perforation at the 3"x4” point so that we can easily fold them over. The extra 3"x1" strip (or more if you have a need) can be printed with useful attendee info e.g. WiFi access code; How to get the App etc which was very useful.

Hope this workaround helps someone.

HP Recommended

A 3x4 card is much easier to read  and our main sponsor provides branded lanyards. Using precut cards a) saves a lot of the time having to separate each card and b) allows quick on-off reprints for the inevitable errors or typos in the registrants details. 

HP Recommended

I just purchased this printer. It prints 3X4 pictures and text on card stock. This way i'm not having to print out sheets and wasting sheets when i only need one name badge. I also don't have to punch out a millions cards. I just slip them into the name badges sleeves and attach a lanyard. I also have photo boards that have 3X4 slots for photos with the persons name that works at each of our locations so it's makes it easy to do both at once.

[post edited]

I also ordered waterproof resealable sleeves so that the paper won't get wet.

HP Recommended

MightyKaiju, you said "I just purchased this printer. It prints 3x4..." You didn't say what printer? What printer? I need help printing on my pre-cut 3x4" journalling cards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.