Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 8710 Version
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I send WORD doc to printer and it won't print the color that is on the document: Highlight Color, and Text Color

I get either a clean black print or a black print with a greyish line instead of highlighter. 

No, I did not change my printer preferences to 'grayscale'... I don't even have those preferences available to me.

No, I am not low on ink. Cartridges are all over 70%

I do not have a "Print as draft" feature so that's not it either. 

Any ideas? 

The TEST page always prints the big blue check so it KNOWS how to print color, it's just not doing it. 

Bought it 2 weeks ago. I think I've covered every question you could have for me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Wu2U2

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts, the sarcasm - not so much, but it's fun to read 😛

That said, I don't wish to take your credit, which is why i wanted you to mark your post as accepted solution,

So that it stands up tall like the beacon of light, dragging the souls towards your post, therefore giving YOU, the credit 😉

And that's about it from my end,

You have a good day.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Wu2U2

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand the printer isn't printing in color,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Is the grayscale option selected in the printer driver?

Have you looked up any related HP Forums post that has resolved the issue for others? If you haven't, try this: Click here

While you respond to that, here's a few things you can try:

Launch the HP print driver window from common Mac applications and learn how to navigate the different tabs and menus.

1. Open the document or photo on your computer, click File, then click Print. For the Photos app, click the Print button at the bottom of the window.

The printer settings window opens. Click Show Details at the bottom of the window, if necessary, to view all available menus.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,  

mark my post as Accepted Solution. 

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You did not read my post. I listed in my post that 'grayscale' was not an option anywhere in my computer printer options and therefor it was not checked. 

The link supplied "For steps" or "Instructions" whatever it said, went to file 404 so that also, not helpful.

Thanks for giving it your best. 

I am regretting my purchase already. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Wu2U2,

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2nZbllF

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I see nowhere in any of the website or your response that will fix the issue of my printer not printing color from my MacBookPro laptop. 

WHERE would I change any settings that would default to 'grayscale'? If that does not apply, what does? 

My printer dropdowns has no such feature. 

Word drop downs on File>Print has no such feature. 

Really frustrated by this now. Really, really frustrated. 

HP Recommended

Apparently, my computer doesn't have the proper Driver. The driver offered via the website was a 2.6 or some such. I need a  4.3.0

Unfortunately, I cannot find that driver anywhere on your site. Nowhere. 

The lovely CD that comes with the printer to set it up has one item and that directs me to the website to download the 'getting started' which is pretty much useless at this point. NO DRIVER. 

So, give me a link to the proper driver and we might make some progress here. 

Much appreciated. 

HP Recommended

@Wu2U2

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I've reviewed your post and looked up the website, 

Evidently, the only version available on the HP Website compatible with your MacOS 10.12 is the 2.6.1.164: Click here to download 

That said, if it isn't working out for you, the only other alternative is to install drivers using the apple software and here's how you can accomplish that:

To install the HP driver through Apple Software Update, create a new print queue on the Mac.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? Your HP drivers automatically download and install through Apple Software Update, but if you want to manually download drivers, go to HP Printer Drivers for macOS and OS X Mavericks and later (in English) or HP Printer Drivers for OS X Mountain Lion and OS X Lion (in English) on the Apple support site.

1. Click the Apple menu, then click System Preferences.

2. Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Here's what I did that solved it. 

I removed the install and re-installed.

Instead of reading all the promos and "sign up for this, that (spam)" I hit "SKIP" through all of it. 

Finally came to "Install software" 

Then there was the interesting part: 

"Your printer comes with a generic driver, would you like to install the HP Driver? "

Are you kidding me? It comes with a driver that is 'generic' and which restricts the very functions of the printer I bought? WHY did they do this? 

I clicked "Install HP Driver"

THAT worked. 

And the necessary Driver WAS there. 

Why is that Driver NOT on the website? I don't get it. 

So, Problem is solved. Talk to your people and get them to fix this process by putting the required driver available for download without someone having to go through Uninstall/Reinstall and you'll probably make your customers (and those poor souls on the forum still struggling with this issue) a whole lot happier. 

Thanks for your patience. 

The problem was with the product software/Driver --- NOT with my MacBookPro. 

Now, YOU have a lovely Day, k? 😉

HP Recommended

@Wu2U2

Thank you for replying with such a detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

To answer your questions, the reason certain drivers are not available is because not all printers support all versions of the MacOS,

Although, I'm glad the steps you've mentioned has helped install the driver successfully,

The steps you've mentioned will help the other souls seeking redemption (installation), so thank you for being kind enough to put those details in here.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And mark your post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Fascinating. HP didn't solve the issue but my choices are Thumbs Up or Accept Solution. 

No "sit & spin"? Just kidding. 

The problem was solved, but not by HP. Now let's let others know the proper steps, weird as they are, to help them solve the problem next time. 

Or, better yet, put the proper Drivers available for D/L on the website. 

Go ahead, use the steps I used, Take credit for the solution, I don't care. But don't leave people in the lurch. 

And close this ticket. You get no Thumbs Up and no ACCEPT The SOLUTION. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.