Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 7612
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Why can I not get my printer to print fit to page

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RogerB6

@RogerB6 wrote:

Why can I not get my printer to print fit to page

Commentary

Settings and adjustments, including "Fit to Page" are controlled by the application / program you are using to submit the job to the printer (program not specified in your question).

The "path" to the settings used to adjust size and "fit" vary by program.  That is, website print submission may use Page Setup and PDF reader may use its main menu option to "fit" or "fit oversized pages".

Assuming for the moment that you are aware of this and that you are doing "everything" right, then the issue might be the result of a misconfiguration elsewhere (size is set to zero, for example).

Other problems include:  The "shape of the image / document" does not match the size and shape of the paper on which you are trying to print the contents.  This is the "Aspect Ratio" which can be complicated or easy depending on your program, your skill level, how well you understand the program parameters, and whether the issue is relevant to your situation.  In many cases, Aspect Ratio is not one of those things people worry about.

To solve:

Open the document / image / webpage in an appropriate program for the content >

• Check the Size, Margins, duplex settings (can result in an "off center" looking document)
  • Check the type of content and understand what you are trying to accomplish -- for example, "Fit to page" means something entirely different when printing an image using Windows Photo Viewer than it does when you are using Adobe Reader DC to print a PDF file.

The printer is not "in charge" of the output except in certain cases.  For example, if you set the margins beyond the minimum margins allowed by the printer hardware, the printer won't print those margins.  It can only print within the restrictions.  If you set a 3mm margin all around and the printer says the bottom margin must be 5mm, then you will get a bottom margin of 5mm.  If there is a misconfiguration elsewhere (or even just this one wrong setting), the content may not "fit" on the page.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click my post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Your answer does not help.  I am trying to print a document using the Snipping Tool.  I want a feature from print function saying "FIT TO PAGE."  I don't want to make the document a pdf first.  

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Previously my 4550 Inkjet printed an annual copy of an Excel Sheet (it has done it for the last seven years.) A new 2630 HP Printer will not. There is no rescaling option I can see either on the Excel programme or the HP printer programme.

If for some reason the 'new' 2630 will not do this it will be returned as it is so rarely needed anyway!

Any ideas anyone?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.