Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
office jet 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have just purchased a office jet 6970, I started to have several problems, but my main concern is the Host printer name it came with...  I think they really haven't got a clue...

The default host name my printers name is showing :-   Ready for this???   "jimmy-Savile" **bleep**?????  What are you playing at HP????

I have now changed this host name 8 times, in 2 weeks!!!!  I thought I was getting scammed, but I have traced and confirmed the printer host name keeps getting defaulted why?  and why "jimmy-Savile"  Really????

Can anyone help, before I get arrested or something.

Thanks

James

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Jimbo1966,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer wherein the hostname keeps changing.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here are a few steps listed below to restore the network settings on the printer to factory defaults:

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Network Setup.

3. Touch Restore Network Settings. A message appears stating that the network defaults will be restored.

4. Touch Yes.

5. Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

Now, I suggest that you follow the steps in the link for wireless setup: Wireless Printer Setup (Windows) 

Also, I suggest that you turn off the wi-fi direct on the printer:

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch (Wi-Fi Direct).

2. Touch ( Settings ).

3. If the display shows that Wi-Fi Direct is ON, touch Wi-Fi Direct and then switch it OFF.

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
Thanks. Completed what you asked. Let you know within the week if this has worked.
😁
HP Recommended

Hi @Jimbo1966,

You are welcome.

I understand that you will let us know if the issue has resolved after one week.

I also appreciate your time and patience in going through the troubleshooting steps.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.