Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I just replaced cartridges and noticed that the label says "564 Setup".  My HP Photosmart Plus B210 printer gives me this error message and won't print and won't accept the cartridge.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you. 

It seems as if HP is following the Gillette Razor methodology:  Sell the razor very cheap, but make the profits on the expensive and exclusive razor blades.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Setup cartridges are only to be used the very first time in the printer upon installation and then until gone.  After that, you never use a 'setup' cartridge again.

HP Recommended

Thank you. 

It seems as if HP is following the Gillette Razor methodology:  Sell the razor very cheap, but make the profits on the expensive and exclusive razor blades.

HP Recommended

Been that way since day one of printers.  :Wink:

HP Recommended

Brand New HP 564 color cartridges will no longer work in my HP C309a. I know HP no longer sells/makes this printer; but have cartridges been redesigned so they no longer function in this printer. Older cartridges had 3 electrical contacts. Newer cartridges have four. What gives?

HP Recommended

thislooks like a similar problem to mine... the replacement 564 simply does not fit, it's bigger than the setup 564, makes the printer unusable to not be able to replace the 564 black cartridge.

in my case, it's a  HP Photosmart Premium (Product CN504A, Model C310a), but the problem you describe is the same. 

How about the concept of compatible parts... i'm ready to buy the ink, but the 564 indicated as correct when researching and ordering from HP, does not fit the printer referenced.  how about part numbers that are different when the product is not interchangeable?     

HP Recommended

I have a HP  officejet 4620 and i need 564 Setup Black, because dont get to configure the printer! I have the colors! How to BUy? I´m Brazil! i eed help, please me! Tks

HP Recommended

Hi!

@TPconcord wrote:

in my case, it's a  HP Photosmart Premium (Product CN504A, Model C310a), but the problem you describe is the same. 

How about the concept of compatible parts... i'm ready to buy the ink, but the 564 indicated as correct when researching and ordering from HP, does not fit the printer referenced.  how about part numbers that are different when the product is not interchangeable?     

From my understanding, across the entire lifecycle of the 564 ink, the only change that has been made was that the 564XL Black (at least here in Canada) was made a little narrower. Please keep in mind that the C310a takes two different black cartridges. One is a bigger, wider one for text black. It is the right-most cartridge (and is represented by the pentagon). There is also a photo black, which is the same width as the color cartridges, and it goes on the left. (as in the second picture on the below link).

Please see "New Smaller Body for HP 178, 364, 564, and 862 Black XL Ink Cartridges" -- HP Consumer Support for more details.

(If this solved your problem, please click Accept as Solution. If I helped, please consider clicking "Kudos". Thanks!)
HP Recommended

@Savioli wrote:

I have a HP  officejet 4620 and i need 564 Setup Black, because dont get to configure the printer! I have the colors! How to BUy? I´m Brazil! i eed help, please me! Tks

Please contact HP directly for that: HP Brazil - Phone Assist

(If this solved your problem, please click Accept as Solution. If I helped, please consider clicking "Kudos". Thanks!)
HP Recommended

Hello everyone.

I'm a happy user of the HP Photosmart all-in-one and for several years never had any trouble.  I always purchased new 862 cartridges and it worked fine.  Recently a friend brought me from Singapore two new sets of cartridges but the shop owner said these are new higher capacity cartridges.  I said why not?  Even better actually since the printer is an ink guzzler! 

Problem is, since I have tried installing these new cartridges, I always get the message 'Incompatible Cartridge' after which I can't get acccess to the printer anymore.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?  The cartridges look exactly the same so I'm suspecting its something to do with the chip?  I have already tried all possible methods such as re-installing cartridges, removing carriage and re-installing, cleaning the cartridge, etc.  

I would appreciate any advice!  Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.