Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

One day, out of the blue after a windows 10 update, my printer started to print ONLY in black and white.  I choose color every time, but it still only prints in black and white.  My cartridges are full and clean.  It Does print in color when I do a test page...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Jmali

I suggest you uninstall the driver from root level once again as you did in the first post 

Then create a new User Account, log in and download the full feature software

Then try printing from the new User Account. You can refer to this Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Jmali

Since the Test page prints in color, I suggest you uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Try printing and let me know how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was able to do exactly what you recommended and it will still only print in black and white...now what??

HP Recommended

@Jmali

Try printing a Quality Diagnostic Page and let me know if Color is printing

1. Load plain white U.S. letter or A4 size paper in the tray.

2. On the control panel home screen, press the Setup icon .

3. Press the button  next to the Down Arrow  until Reports displays next to OK.

4. Press the button next to OK to select Reports.

5. Press the button next to the Down Arrow  until Print Quality Report displays next to OK, and then press the button next to OK. The report prints.

Figure : Example of the report

Image: Example of the test report

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

The print Quality Diagnostic page is all good and in color.  What next?

HP Recommended

@Jmali

Since the Diagnostic Page looks fine, this could be a driver or OS issue.

Please download and run the HP Print And scan Doctor from this Link: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Run PSDR v5.0.2 

Once the PSDR detects the Printer, it will show up the IP address and Software Status. 

Select the correct Printer and click on Next. 

PSDR will check if the Printer is on the Network and communication between the PC and the Printer. Once the connection check is done, click on Fix Printing 

Once PSDR goes through all checks and automatic fixes, click on Print a test page. 

Regardless if PSDR printed the test page or not, click on “NO PRINT” 

PSDR will then notify you that there is an update available, click on continue, and PSDR will apply the patch and ask for a reboot. 

Post restart the PSDR will run automatically to check for more issue.  If no issue found close PSDR. 

Let me know how it goes

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Again, the test page was fine and in color, but only black and white when I try to print from the computer.  ??

HP Recommended

@Jmali

I suggest you uninstall the driver from root level once again as you did in the first post 

Then create a new User Account, log in and download the full feature software

Then try printing from the new User Account. You can refer to this Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help!  I am printing in color now!

HP Recommended

@Jmali

I'm glad you got this issue resolved

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.