Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When using MS Word to print a document, I am not able to print by WiFi Direct because the printer is listed as "Offline". WiFi Direct on the printer has been switched on. From my laptop (Lenovo Yoga 730), I went to my wireless connections and selected the WiFi Direct printer connection (DIRECT-DE-HP....). Then I returned to MS Word and selected the WiFi direct printer. But when the printer is selected, it is listed as offline and the document will not print.

I have turned off and on the printer and laptop. I have made numerous attempts to disconnect and reconnect to the WiFi printer. When I select the active printer through Windows, it shows document in the queue and the status column is blank. The printer works fine when using a wired connection and a regular wifi connection.

Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@resipsa4444, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Review these guidelines and tips to resolve setup and printing issues when using Wi-Fi Direct.

• Confirm Wi-Fi Direct is enabled on the printer: Wi-Fi Direct must be turned on before you can connect the printer to a computer or mobile device.

• Printers with a control panel display

If your printer has a touchscreen, touch the Wi-Fi Direct icon  to view the status screen and printer name. If the status is off, touch the Settings icon  to turn it on.

If your control panel has a 2-line LCD display, go to the Network menu, select Wi-Fi Direct, and then select Wi-Fi Direct On/Off. If the status is off, use the arrow buttons  to turn it on.

• Printers with buttons only

If your printer has a Wi-Fi Direct button , confirm the light next to it is on and steady. If your printer does not have a Wi-Fi Direct button and has an Information button , press it to print a report with the Wi-Fi Direct information listed. If there is no Information button, press and hold the Resume/Cancel or Resume button  until the report prints.

If the report shows Wi-Fi Direct is off, continue to How do I change the Wi-Fi Direct password, login settings, and printer name?

• Move closer to the printer during setup: As a wireless connection type, the closer the device is to the printer, the greater the chance of successful setup and printing.

• Restart the printer and the computer or device: Restarting can help if the printer is not listed during setup or you require a new PIN.

• Disconnect Ethernet or USB cables: These printer connection types might interfere with basic driver installation.

• Restore network settings to defaults: Most printers with touchscreen control panels include this feature in Wireless or Network settings menu. For printers without a touchscreen, consult the User Guide for steps.

• Install the HP print driver or mobile app: If you have not already installed the print driver or app, go to 123.hp.com.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.