Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6xxx, 7xxx, 8xxx & others

There is a big problem with HP inkjets with separate printheads, and people are throwing these away in large numbers.

I live in a city with 100k inhabitants and every week a couple of HP OJs 6xxx - 8xxx are joining the pile on just a single WEEE collection point, almost all with printhead problems. Especially, but not limited to, 920 / 932-933 and 950-951 printheads.

Soft resetting and reseating (even 3 times to clear the error message), cleaning, checking the contacts on the printhead circuit board, connectors or flex cables, even upgrading FW may work sometimes. But on most cases the printhead is just busted no matter that the PH board components look of high quality and test fine.

I have 11 printers some unlucky owners couldn't, or didn't afford to fix - all with original/expensive cartridges, some full on ink.. Can't say if these people had to buy new HP replacements (or other brands), but this is obviously planned obsolescence.

Has HP expanded its profit margin on replacement printheads, since they lost their fight with cartridge remanufacturing companies? The prices may confirm. I did not hear yet of a remanufacturer making a printhead of their own, only recycled units sold online by small entrepreneurs (which may not even bother to test).

What's your experience on this subject?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Update: I managed to get a working HP 950 printhead and tested all 7 printers available which were using the same printhead assembly. Usage report showed between 9000 and 17000 pages were printed by these printers and their original printheads. So I could safely say that the non-working printheads are pretty much EOL.

It's a pity though the error message does not clarify a printhead is finished/consumed, but instead that is not detected or damaged, which may be solved by reestablishing the contacts and not purchasing a replacement.

Perhaps due to economic considerations (the high cost of a replacement printhead and availability of affordable ready-to-use printers/all-in-ones), could be that the ex-owners had reached their ROI target and moved on with new units as replacements.

After learning about the technology behind printheads and how their microchip-like semiconductor based nano-architecture works, I see now why printheads can easily be damaged by unaware users, or why some high-volume Officejet users would be inclined to buy a new cheap unit over a new expensive printhead.

HP should find a way to decrease printhead costs and promote longer use of printers, lessening environmental matters in the process.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.