Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 7520
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This printer worked well in a small office environment with a wireless connection.  It was moved to a one room home office.  The printer is installed with a wireless connection and operates immediately after installation.  A print attempt after the computer has gone to sleep or has been shut down  the "Cannot communicate with the Printer" error message is displayed and printing is not accomplished.  By utilizing the Printer Setup Wizard on the printer display, the local wireless network is located and displayed.  After entering the password, the printer is operational and prints any documents in the queue.  I have uninstalled the print driver, removed all HP associated files and reinstalled the latest complete driver twice.  No change, the printer works for that session and then will not connect on subsequent attempts unless the wireless setup procedure completed.

I have an identical printer purchased at the same place at the same time and worked OK in the same office as the above printer.  This 7520 will not connect to the wireless network after the proper network is displayed and the password is entered.  The Print Doctor shows a communication problem but has no solution .  All other wireless devices including computers used in this location connect and operate without a problem.

Is this an inherent problem with the 7520 series or is there another procedure that could correct the issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try using a TCP/IP port?

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try using a TCP/IP port?

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works

HP Recommended

Followed  your instructions and seems to have resolved the issue.  Will let you know if the fix is not permanent.

Thanks much for your help

HP Recommended

Such a simple fix that could have saved me HOURS trying to track down the problem.

When did HP lose the plot ??  My previous HP C410 Printer set up this way without me having to do a thing.

This will be my last Printer I buy from HP - I can't affor to waste hours ettng up a new Printer due to HP incompetence.

HP Recommended

Hi @MikeAusH

Thanks for your feedback.

A lot of connectivity issues are not primarily the printer's fault.

Just google "connectivity issues on (manufacturer's name) and you will see many results.

Router settings, environment, antivirus software etc all play part.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

No, I was too optimistic - I tried to print an hour later and the time-wasting heap of garbage says the printer is offline - even though the the White Power light is on and theBlue WiFi light is on solid.

Yet I couldn't get it to respond to the Touchscreen or the Power button.

HP Recommended

Well the C410 Printer has none of these problems - just enter the WiFi password and it works. The only thing different is this Printer which I unfortunately chose.

HP Recommended

Hi @MikeAusH

Spoiler
Yet I couldn't get it to respond to the Touchscreen or the Power button.

Did the printer just hanged?

Can you update the firmware for the printer:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Photosmart-7520-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/51994...

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.