Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, same issue here. Hp Envy 5640 got some print problems.

I use the printer wireless. I am able to print from my wifes laptop, I can print from my Beebox music pc, when I am remote connected via my desktop pc, but I can not print via my main desktop pc.

Actions taken:

- reinstall hp software

- reset of the network

- reset printer

- reset router

- restore image of Windows 10 x64 

Use the latest version of Windows 10 for a while. I can scan via my desktoppc documents, unable to print
so anyone suggestions?

follow up:

- restore factory settings printer didnt work
- re install W10 via MediaCreationTool1809 , first stuck in the message "out of paper, "after reinstall the driver same
issues again.

bizarre

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@patjepayer

Welcome to the HP Support Community

This could be a driver issue as the printer is printing from the other computer.

I suggest you download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor

Install HP Print and Scan Doctor on the computer connected to your printer.

1. Make sure your printer is turned on and connected to the computer.

2. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor, and then follow the on-screen prompts to install and open the tool.

3. On the Welcome screen, click Start to view a list of available printers.

4. Select your printer in the list, and then click Next.

If your printer is not listed or a connection problem is detected, click My product is not listed or select your connection type, follow the on-screen instructions, and then click Retry.

Example of a list of available printers

5. Click either Fix Printing or Fix Scanning.

If you are prompted to install the printer software, follow the on-screen instructions. The software can resolve many printer issues.

Example of a list of available printers

6. Review the list of test results, and then resolve any issues found.

• If you see a checkmark, the printer passed the test.

• If you see a wrench, HP Print and Scan Doctor found an issue and repaired it.

• If you see an exclamation point, the test failed and required user action, but the step was skipped.

• If you see an X, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

Example of the results screen with a problem detected

If the issue persists, Let's try to fix this issue by doing a clean install. 

Follow the steps mentioned below:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer is present.

Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select your HP printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Restart your computer.

Click the bottom-left Start button on the desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose "Show hidden devices".

Then from the device manager list, check the entries under "Printer" - If there are any entries, please right click and choose "uninstall" - In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says "Delete the driver software for this device".

Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. 

Delete any printer entry or any entry which says "Unknown device".

Once done, close device-manger. 

Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well. Again, go to Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. 

You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.

Now restart your computer again. Open the Run window again, type "services.msc" and press ok to get services window. Scroll down to "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" - right-click and go to properties. 

Make sure the service is started and startup type is "Automatic".

Now scroll up and go to "Function Discovery Provider Host" - right-click and select properties - Change the startup type to "manual" and start the service.

Repeat the same exercise on "Function Discovery Resource Publication" as well.

Then, click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-5640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/... to download and install the HP ENVY 5640 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Try to print.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj1788,

thanks for your reply.
for the record, I did use the HP scan doctor program, but it could not find any error.
I unstalled HP with the Revo Uninstall program and used the printui.exe /s command. At the end

I restored an other image I had from october Windows 10 V1809 and from that point the printer is working again.

So I could not test your reply-answer. I keep your reply-post in mind for if the issue comes back again

grtz

Pat

HP Recommended

@patjepayer

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution!

Keep me posted for other technical queries please feel free to get back to me.

Take care now and do have a great week ahead.

:)Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.