Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I've spend the last 2 days trying to fix this problem of the Printer Preferences error on both my laptops.  Last week the printer was working find - nothing changed except the (*&%R*&Y(*)( Windows update!!!

I have tried every single fix suggested in this form for the last 5 years.  I have a perfectly fine HP ENVY 4520 printer- have tried the "remove the cartridge" trick - nothing.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and updating software -- still, it prints color find directly on the printer test page, but it will only print gray scale from either laptop. 

I know you make this change in the Printer Preferences.  But an error message pops up when I click on that.

So I have no way of changing it. ALL documents print in grayscale now from both my laptops!

I spend $117 at UPS Store printing out documents that had to be mailed before Christmas because of this stupid error.

When I click on Printer Properties, it does show COLOR.  But it is not a clickable word. And there is no setting that pops up there that says color or gray scale.

If anyone has a NEW solution for Dec, 2019, please post it.  Please do not post a link to one of the 3 year old suggestions for this ongoing problem!

Appreciate the help from anyone who truly knows how to fix  this Windows 10 (auto-friggin-automatic updates!) issue.

THanks,

Viewchanger

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@viewchanger

Welcome to HP support community.

Provide the printer model number or the product number for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer is HP Envy 4520.  It was working perfectly one day and the next it would only print in grayscale.  I think Windows 10 did another automatic update, not sure, but nothing else changed.  I have tried everything I can find online to fix this issue.

Unplug, take out the ink, uninstall, reinstall, etc.  I even ran the printer "doctor" software - no problems are detected.

If I run a test page it prints perfectly.  If I try to print something in color from my laptop, it only prints in grayscale.

Most of the time the "printer preferences" are not even an option given.  When I finally find them and right click on them, I get the old standard error message that everyone has been reporting.  So I cannot do anything with changing the printer preferences, another one of the famous fixes.  This printer has been a simple workhorse for me, always consistent and always producing great color pictures.  The ink is full and prints fine on test pages.  If anyone has anything new to suggest, I'm open.

Thanks,

Viewchanger

HP Recommended

@viewchanger

Welcome to HP support community.

Did you uninstall the printer driver from root level?

If not, follow the below steps:

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer full feature driver

Click here to download the driver.

Update the printer firmware

Follow the steps mentioned in this HP document to update firmware:- Click here

Once you install the printer, change the bellow settings to print in color.

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing preferences.
  3. Make your choices, and then click OK.
  4. Under option Print color select color , then the OK button.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for your input.
I already did all of that uninstall, etc. reinstall stuff.  Twice.
When I right click on Printer Preferences to make a change -- that's when the error message comes up.
This is exactly the point I get to with all the suggestions.  I need a suggestion to get rid of the Windows error box that ALWAYS comes up when I right click on the Printer Preferences.

By the way, I discovered that my printer WILL make a color copy of some pic I just lay on top of the glass.  So the fault is NOT with the printer. It works perfectly on its own.  The error is somewhere within the Windows 10 interface with HP Printer.  They have actually rendered thousands of HP printer owners incapable of printing in color from their laptop! 

Here's the oxymoron: Microsoft Works!

If anyone has a buddy in Microsoft who they can just ask how to fix this in Windows, please contact me.

Thanks so much,
Viewchanger
HP Recommended

@viewchanger

This might require remote access of the computer to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.