Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 0 6
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows can't print to Officejet 4630 in single cartridge mode (only colour cartridge installed)

HP Officejet 4630
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I've recently run into a situation where my device will no longer print from my computer to the printer wirelessly (printer is connected to my home wireless network) since depleting the black cartridge.  I removed the black cartridge and the printer informs me it is in single cartridge mode.  The printer is capable of printing if I send the job through e-printing/e-mail attachment directly to the printer, but in windows itself it lists the device as 'Attention Required'.  I deleted and reinstalled the device twice and performed a hard reset (power cable out for a minute) and still have the issue.  Running the HP Print and Scan doctor reports there is a problem with the print head or cartridge and to replace any bad ones or make sure they are installed properly even though the printer itself stands ready and I've been able to print out documents as I mentioned, via e-mailing or from the devices test page functions using the menu. 

It would seem the driver/software has an issue with only having a single colour cartridge installed, while the printer itself does not.  I have another black one on the way, and I've been able to get around the issue with e-printing, but I would prefer to not have to do this for all my print jobs in the interim if there is another solution.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
15,163 14,989 856 2,161
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows can't print to Officejet 4630 in single cartridge mode (only colour cartridge installed)

Welcome to the HP Forums @Borgenhaust!

I noticed your message about the troubles you're having with printing in single cartridge mode when printing from your computer only. By the description, I am curious if the setting to print in "Black Ink Only" is selected, which certainly could cause the issue you're experiencing. Check the settings and let me know if this helps any!

1. On your computer please open the Start screen by selecting the Windows icon on the bottom left corner of the computer screen or by selecting the Windows key on the bottom left of your keyboard, to the right of the Ctrl button

2. Under the Start screen type Devices and Printers. Click Devices and Printers to open the window

3. Under Devices and Printers please right click on your HP Officejet. Left click on Printing Preferences.

4. Under the Printing Preferences please click on the Advanced option on the bottom right.

5. Locate the Print in Grayscale option and click the dropdown next to it to adjust this setting to 'Black Ink Only', and turn it Off.

scan 1.png

6. Click OK to save the changes. Under the Printing Preferences window click Apply and OK.

I hope to hear from you:)

If you wish to thank me for my response today, click the kudos.PNG below!Smiley Wink

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 0 6
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks much for the response.  As a follow-up,  I looked at the setting, and found it was already set to 'off'.  I'm pretty sure I looked through them and played with those while I was troubleshooting and tried both ways.  When I toggle the settings it still shows the printer as 'requiring attention' in Windows.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 0 6
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi again,

As a bit of progress, I managed to get a print job to go through by changing the printer port from the 'WSD' port that is set up when the printer installs to a standard TCP/IP port with the IP of the printer as the target.  When I switch back it no longer says attention required but still will not print.  In the meantime I've set it to use the TCP/IP port and hopefully that will keep things in order :).

Highlighted
3 3 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much! I've been searching for a solution for months!

:generic:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot Borgenhaust, i can print now !

By the way, it's still a driver issue that HP has to solve, not everyone will be able to find this workaround.

Just for the record, my printer has now been duplicated, one icon to manage scanner and another to manage printer.

Here's two screenshot :

Officejet4630_01.PNG

Officejet4630_02.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I still can't print from my Windows 10 pc.. no matter what I try (well, I didn't try the printer port thing) 

The only thing that works .. is to use ePrint.. so.. I can email a document to my printer and it will print it.

Windows 10 just keeps saying "Attention Required" (printer control panel) or "User Intervention Required" from Microsoft Word's print screen.

The HP Print/Scan Doctor did manage to launch a firewall troubleshooter page that then helped me launch a "control panel" that jumped me back to WIndows 10 where I saw a little "sheild icon" over in my firewall security settings alerting me to give permission to something that wanted to be installed.  I don't know if this put my system in a better state or not.. (I haven't restarted it)   since ePRint works for me.. I'm going to bed. 

If I get around to restarting my desktop system and it works, I'll try to follow up here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Borgenhaustwrote:

Hi again,

As a bit of progress, I managed to get a print job to go through by changing the printer port from the 'WSD' port that is set up when the printer installs to a standard TCP/IP port with the IP of the printer as the target.  When I switch back it no longer says attention required but still will not print.  In the meantime I've set it to use the TCP/IP port and hopefully that will keep things in order :).

Thank you so much. I've been looking for this solution on my Windows 10 laptop

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation