Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Windows 7

Just purchased a new HP ENVY 5644 device to replace an existing my HP Photosmart C4380. Powered the new device on for the first time and ran through the initial setup using the integrated touchscreen. Everything seemed to go both easily and smoothly, without any errors and even connected to my home wireless network on the first attempt.

I next tested both printing and scanning features, each of which provided extremely pleasing results and good performance over the wireless network.

Unfortunately, this is where my happy story ends and the trouble begins!

Having initially setup the device in a temporary location, I correctly powered down in preparation of relocating it to its final resting position. Although this was to be in a different room of the house, it was in fact closer to the wireless network router itself. In reality, we are talking a very negligible distance as the 2 rooms are actually back to back to one another. So now with it in the new position and connected to a power outlet, I switched the device on once again. The device powers up and the blue LED indicator which signifies the wireless connection status, continuously flashes blue rather than a steady solid blue. The flashing blue indicates that the device cannot establish a wireless network connection. If I use the touchscreen to investigate the issue I find that there appears to be an Authentication Problem and the message details are Incorrect wireless password (WPA) entered.

Why has this happened? Nothing has changed, all I did is move the printer into another room!

Believing what the touchscreen tells me, I decided to run the Wireless Setup Wizard once more to affirm the wireless network settings. As expected, it manages to find my home wireless network without any issues and then requests that the password key is entered. I therefore enter this correctly and press apply. It is at this point that the device attempts to make a connection to the network, which unfortunately fails, returning the above error message. However, I know that I entered the password correctly, in fact there is an option to show the password you have entered prior to attempting the connection, which upon checking confirms that the password I entered is the correct one!

So why does it not connect?

I have tried switching the wireless feature on and off several times via the touchscreen interface but this did not resolve the issue. The only way to get the wireless connection back online is to keep switching the device on and off again until the wireless LED indicator stays on solid blue. For no apparent reason, the wireless connection seems to have a mind of its own, only successfully connecting to my wireless network when it wishes to!

I do not have any issues with the numerous other wireless network devices I have in my home, from multiple manufacturers and even located in other multiple rooms of the home. I know my wireless network is good and I know my wireless password like the back of my own hand, so there is no chance of this being incorrect. This is purely a problem for the HP ENVY 5644 device itself, which can be confirmed by the fact that if I switch it off and on again, it might decide to make a successful connection even though I did nothing to its own network configuration nor to my own wireless network configuration itself.

Wondering whether or not it might be some obscure incompatibility between my wireless router and the HP ENVY 5644, I tested the device with another spare router that I have, which was also from a different manufacturer but sadly the result was the same, the HP ENVY 5644 only connected when it wanted to and would only establish the connection to the wireless network upon switching on the device. If the connection fails, it will never connect to the network unless you switch it off and then back on again, which might even require to be attempted several times before successful. Once connected, it appears to remain connected and then functions really well.

This behaviour is not acceptable and I’m sure this can’t be too healthy for the device itself to be switched on and off again in such short cycles. Otherwise, on the whole, as I said earlier, I am very happy with the product.

Can someone at HP tell me why this is happening or suggest what else I need to look for or consider.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Spoke with HP engineer the other day. I explained what was happening and they suggested doing a factory reset and then setting the IP address manually rather than using the DHCP of my home wireless router.

I wasn't too happy about that as everything was setup nicely and working, with the exception of the WiFi not reconnecting on every power on. I had also gone one better in fact, by adding a DHCP reservation within my router using the MAC address of the printer. This in effect is the best of both worlds as the printer will be given the same IP address by the router every time it requests one.

We agreed to leave things as they stand rather than factory reset the printer and that I would now power off the printer everyday. For the past 4 days, the printer has reconnected to the WiFi upon every power on. This is great news.

I have a call scheduled with HP in a few days time to discuss how things have been going. If all continues as is, it would appear than specifying a DHCP reservation in the wireless router resolves the issue. Whilst I await the next call with HP, I am continuing to power on and off the printer on a daily basis.

Watch this space!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Have left the printer continuously switched on for 3 days now and the wireless connection seems to remain steady. Whilst I know this is an internet enabled printer, it does also have an auto off feature which I have disabled.

Not sure I am totally happy to leave this printer on all the time but at the same time I’m not happy to have the troubles of it re-establishing a connection to the wireless network if it cannot do this reliably upon each and every power on.

HP Recommended

Anyone on here have anything to say on this topic please?

This is only my second time of asking a question on the forum, with the first being back in 2013, which itself never received a single reply from either a Public user or even a member from HP.

Again, so far this latest question of mine has no input from anyone else other than me!

Not a useful forum if even the HP experts themselves can't be bothered to chime in and help.

HP Recommended
What a waste of space this forum is!

Guess it is time to put this printer back in the box and return to the store for a full refund or exchange with a different manufacturer.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately I agree with you.  I've posted a couple of times about other problems and so far never ended up with a solution.  

For me, it's wireless connectivity of my printer.  It's too bad because I want to like my HP 6700 Premium printer - it does most things pretty well.  But the couple of things it has problems with are exasperating to deal with because they should be readily resolvable with a firmware update, which seems to be an impossibility with HP.   

Better luck with a different vendor.  I think I'm going to head back to Canon.

HP Recommended

@JoeKing69 ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Thanks for escalating this topic. I am familiar with Private Messages on this forum and will look out for someone from the HP team to get in contact.
HP Recommended

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with the same printer model. It all worked fine and now it tells me that my password for the wireless network is incorrect, but it is not. Any help much appreciated.

HP Recommended
I found that I just need to power cycle the printer several times until it decides to connect to my wireless network.

HP have been in touch but I am now waiting for a local HP technical person to get in private contact with me.

When / if anything comes of this, I will be sure to update this thread.

In the meantime, I've opted to not turn the printer off and leave it running 24/7 for now and also disabled the auto power off feature. This way the printer is always connected to my WiFi and ready to use as and when required.
HP Recommended
Spoke with HP engineer the other day. I explained what was happening and they suggested doing a factory reset and then setting the IP address manually rather than using the DHCP of my home wireless router.

I wasn't too happy about that as everything was setup nicely and working, with the exception of the WiFi not reconnecting on every power on. I had also gone one better in fact, by adding a DHCP reservation within my router using the MAC address of the printer. This in effect is the best of both worlds as the printer will be given the same IP address by the router every time it requests one.

We agreed to leave things as they stand rather than factory reset the printer and that I would now power off the printer everyday. For the past 4 days, the printer has reconnected to the WiFi upon every power on. This is great news.

I have a call scheduled with HP in a few days time to discuss how things have been going. If all continues as is, it would appear than specifying a DHCP reservation in the wireless router resolves the issue. Whilst I await the next call with HP, I am continuing to power on and off the printer on a daily basis.

Watch this space!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.