Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 8600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We have several HP OfficeJet printers on our wireless network, so we would like them to have names which make sense.  Right now, they all work fine, but have similar names such as "HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 [D0799A]".

From the Printer display panel, I can successfully change the "Hostname," but that does not change the name that shows up when you are trying to print from a wireless device (like an iPhone).

I get that I am supposed to change the Bonjour name.  I cannot find that option in the printer display panel.  I CAN find that option when I open a browser on a PC (we have no Macs).  (Network -> Bonjour -> Bonjour Service Name)

When I change the Bonjour Service Name and press Apply, it lets me change it and says it is successful, but does not "take."  If you go back into the screen, it is the old name and  the wireless network still shows the old name.  I ahve tried several times to no avail.  Rebooting the printer has no effect. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on why this might happen or maybe a different way for me to chagne the name?  Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@UsedToLoveIT

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have HP OfficeJet 8600 printers connected to the wireless network and would like to rename them because all of the printers have the same name. 

Let me tell you that the Bonjour service is not present in Windows. The simplest way to rename the printer is through Windows Control Panel.

• Click Start>> Devices and printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window, right-click on the printer you want to rename and select printer properties.
  • The printer properties window should open. Under the general tab, enter the name you wish to have for that printer. Click on Apply and OK. If the apply button is grayed out then simple click on OK.
  • You will now see in the printer and devices window that the printer will have the new name. 

Hope this helps. Please feel free to keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I apologize if this seems rude, but you obviously do not understand my question.  Changing the Windows printer name on my PC is not going to change how it appears when I try to print wirelessly from a  Smartphone.

When you use a browser to access the IP address of the printer (i.e., http://192.168.12.98 ), you get the options to change the printer itself.  Changing the "Hostname" here also does not change the name of the printer on the wireless network.  But going into the "Network" tab, and choosing "Bonjour" under the "Advanced Settings" will.  At least for iPhone printing.

As added information, I seem to be able to browse to OTHER printers on my wireless network, and change the Bonjour Service Name through those browser settings successfully  (and successfully see the new name when I choose a wireless printer).   But it still is not working on this one particular printer.  I can change the Bonjour Domain Name successfully (though this doesn't solve my problem...it just provides more information).

I am especially confused by the fact that it gives me the green check mark and states "The changes have been updated successfully" yet the change does not take affect....when you look at it again, it is the same old printer name.

Something must be up with this particular printer, even though we have the same printer model elsewhere on the network.

Again, if anyone else has seen this happen, or if there is another way to change the printer name as it appears on the WIRELESS network, I'd like to hear from you.

HP Recommended

I do see that the printer that is misbehaving states that it has:

HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a Embedded Web Server 

whereas the ones that are working say they have:

HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911n Embedded Web Server

But the option is there so I believe it should work.

I did update the firmware and it did not have an affect.

HP Recommended

I just got 2 HP 3755 small printers.  Love them! Was able to rename them on my MBPR running OS Sierra. However , when I try and print from my iphoneX, both Printer long names come up, and Not the names I renamed them. The new names  only come up on my MAC .  When i change the bonjour name, i do see the change when I print from my phone, however , after changing the bonjour name, I then cannot print from my MAC.  THERE IS A STEP I AM MISSING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT?? So, I change the bonjour name back to what is was, and all is well, but back to not knowing which printer I am printing to from my phone. There is also a place to put in a location under bonjour, so I tried that. However, that does not come up on iphone, so what good is it? 

HAVE YOU FIGURED THIS OUT YET?

Thanks

Sally

HP Recommended

I have a 8610.  On that you can change the Bonjour Name that is broadcast on the printer itself.  Go the the little antenna icon, then the setup icon then wireless settings/Advanced Settings/Bonjour Name/Change.  From there I was able to change the Bonjour name and any device looking for a printer sees the new name.   Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

An addition to last comment:  On your MAC you will have to add your printer again.  Just add it as an additional printer and delete the printer you were using.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.