Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

The video on YouTube should explain the wireless setup on Mac for this device pretty clear. However, there is also a document on HP websites that describes the setup as well. Maybe this is also useful:

Click here for the instructions in Snow Leopard (10.6) - includes the video as well

Click here for the instructions in Leopard (10.5) and Tiger (10.4)

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Mandy

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Thumb up in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own
HP Recommended

I have read the other posts and watched the YouTube video. I am thinking that while these help locate the settings they won't solve Charlie-2010's problem, because he does NOT want to have the printer join the existing infrastructure wireless network.

First I should note that the video starts with the printer connected using a wired network connection so that wireless can be configured using the Embedded Web Server (EWS). That is probably the best way to configure wireless on this printer from a Mac. However, I don't think the wired and wireless connections are active at the same time so after you have configured the wireless settings you must unplug the network cable to try them out.

The video shows that a printer (print queue) has been created for the wired network configuration. You may not need a print queue if you just open Safari and go to the "Show all bookmarks" page. There is a Bonjour "tab" on the left and if you select it the browser will show you all devices it can find - the printer should be one of them. Click on it to open the EWS.

Since the printer is NOT joining an infrastructure network it should use ad-hoc mode instead (the video shows selecting infrastructure over ad-hoc mode). In ad-hoc mode the printer's network will appear in the "devices" section of the Airport menu on your Mac. Mac clients will be able to find the printer easily using Bonjour. Not sure how well this setup will work for Windows users because all the devices involved with be using auto-ip and there is no router to query.

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Ok, still no joy.

After repeating the instructions again on Step 4 and after deleting the USB printer, disconnecting the USB lead and looking for the Bonjour printer, nothing is found...................however, when the USB lead is put back in to the computer, the USB printer is refound and for a few seconds the Bonjour printer actually appears but then promptly disappears!!  

Does this happen with anyone else?  What does this mean and what's the next step in finding a solution?

HP Recommended

In response to laserenvy's post, in ad-hoc mode the printer's network does appear in the devices section of Airport, however a password is required to connect.  Any suggestions??

HP Recommended

I have figured out something that should work based on watching the videos but I have been unable to find this printer to try it for myself.

You need to get back into the EWS on the page where you switched it to ad-hoc. Since you don't know the password you will need to plug the network cable in.

The settings below Communication Mode apply to both infrastructure and ad-hoc wireless networks. in the ad-hoc case they will set the Network Name and Authentication type and key/password for the network being broadcast by the printer. If you don't want a password choose "Open" for authentication type.

HP Recommended

Success!!!  

Recapping:- when ad-hoc is selected as well as open for the authentication type then the whole section on inserting WEP keys & passwords disappears.  Click apply, then close the other windows as before, and then select the HPC device from the AirPort dropdown.  The AirPort symbol changes and then go back to the page where you are able to add a printer, the Bonjour printer is available and can be selected.  I think at this point the blue light on the printer is now constantly on rather than flashing and hey presto, wireless printing.

Awesome, thank you very much!!

HP Recommended

I have also been able to install the printer, I can print the test page using wifi and the ip configuration page, but when I try to print other documents, I get a message "couldn't find fifo(2)" and indicates that the network host is busy. I tried to google "fifo(2)" but nothing relevant pops up.

Can someone help?

HP Recommended

1+ for the youtube and detailed hp instructions.

My HP 1102w works!

I suggest HP to change the instruction manual included in the box with the online manual.

HP Recommended

To recap and cover a few basics from this thread:

If you want your wireless printer to join your existing wireless network use infrastructure mode. This is what most people should use.
If you want your printer to create it's own wireless network use ad-hoc mode. This is not usually what you want to do because ad-hoc netwroks cannot access the internet. You usually do not want to change from your network that allows you to access the internet to a network that only allows you to print. Ad-hoc makes you choose while infrastructure allows both on the same network. Ad-hoc might be useful if you want guests to be able to use your printer but not your internet, but it will be inconvenient for you.
The above applies to any wireless printer. Specifically for the LJ 1022nw, some people on this forum have suggested they had better luck printing when using a "socket" connection rather than the more typical Bonjour connection. I don't have one of these devices to test this but I can tell you how to create a print queue that uses a "socket" connection.
These instructions assume that you know the IP address of your printer. You can create a queue for a socket conenction regardless of whether your printer is connected to a wired or wireless connection as long as you know the IP address. You can get the IP address by pressing and holding the green button on your LJ1022NW for 5 seconds or so, you can release the button when the printer starts to print. If you have recently turned the printer on allowed it a few minutes to establish a network connection before trying to get its IP address.
To create this new print queue open System Preferences and go to the "Print & Fax" panel. Press the "+" button under the list of printers and a new "Add Printer" window will open.
In the toolbar of this new window choose "IP". Choose "HP Jetdirect - Socket" for the protocol and enter the IP address in the address field. Leave the Queue blank, but name you enter in the "Name:" field is used to identify the printer in System Preferences and in print dialogs so use something that will help you know which printer it is. The location field is optional and most useful when sharing the printer with others on the network. "Print Using:" should be selected to match the printer model you are using. This will probably be selected automatically but if it says something that includes the word "Generic" you will need to find your specific printer, generic isn't going to get you anything you want.
Try that and let us know how it goes.

HP Recommended

I am getting the same issue where my Macbook can see my printer, and I can print test pages wirelessly, but when I try to print a standard page, I get the error message, Couldn't open fifo (2); Network host ' 192.168....' is busy; will retry in 30 seconds...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.