Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I just bought a new HP LJ P1102w for our conference room to use as a wireless guest printer.  I want to enable wireless printing, but not attach it to our corporate network for security reasons.

I use a Mac running 10.6.3, which the package and instructions says is supported.

I cannot get the wireless to connect with my Mac, and there are no wireless instructions for using a Mac - only to install using the CD - which has no wireless options or prompts.

Anyone have any ideas??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had all of the trouble that you guys are describing. I then set it up flawlessly on another system. This is what I did.

1.  When I set it up on my own system (laptop #1), when I installed the driver, I checked the box for a USB set-up, rather than a network set-up. Maybe this made a difference, I don't know. In any event, when I set it up on another system (laptop #2), when I installed the driver (using the enclosed CD), I checked the box that said "network printer." Maybe this made a difference.

2.  I had no trouble setting up the USB connection.

3.  I then set it up for use with an Airport Express. I unplugged the Airport Express, attached the printer to it using a USB cable, plugged it back in, and re-installed the Airport Express with its installation software (which is on the laptop under applications / utilities / Airport Utility). I did not reset it to factory settings, but only changed two windows: de-selecting use with iTunes, and confirming use with the printer (which showed up in the window as Hewlett Packard...). As I went through this procedure, I made a point to observe that the password was not in WEP, but in WPA/WPA-2. I concluded the reconfiguration of the Airport Express. I now plugged the USB cable back into Mac laptop#2. I went through Apple / System Preferences / Print and Fax, highlighted the LJ P1102w, etc, etc, as is set out in the Youtube video. I selected the Airport Express as the SSID and used WPA/WPA-2 encryption, alphanumeric, and entered the Airport Express password. I then closed it all out like it shows in the Youtube video. I plugged the USB cable back into the Airport Express. I then deleted the printer from my printer list as shown in the Youtube video, and clicked on "+" to add a printer. Up popped a Bonjour printer "Hewlett Packard...," which I added. I could now print "wirelessly" from laptop #2, with the printer connected by USB cable to the Airport Express. 

4.  I then plugged the USB cable back into my computer, and up popped the USB printer into my list of printers. I followed the Youtube video all over again, basically keeping all the previous settings. After running through the procedure, I deleted the USB printer (keeping the Airport Express printer), unplugged the USB cable from Mac laptop#2, and hit "+" to add a printer. A couple seconds later, up popped a Bonjour LJP1102w printer, which I clicked on and added.

-  This is to say that the printer unit will now work in three different ways on that system (Mac laptop #2), all depending on which way I set as my default on that laptop.

-  I think the differences between my initial failure and subsequent success was

A.  making sure I select the "network" driver at the outset, when installing the driver off the enclosed CD

B.  making sure I use the proper encryption (which for the Airport Express was WPA/WPA-2)

C.  unplugging the USB cable from the laptop before searching for the Bonjour printer.

D.  I don't know if the OS X made a difference. Laptop #1 is 10.5.8 (Leopard), whereas Laptop #2 is 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard, like in the Youtube Video).

-  So, as I say, I had a very easy and successful triple installation, following a frustrating initial attempt. On that initial attempt, with laptop #1, I could make two out of the three work, but never got a fully wireless printer. And being fully wireless is really very cool...

Maybe something in this will help the rest of you guys. Good luck.

View solution in original post

70 REPLIES 70
HP Recommended

I don't know LaserJets very well (I am an inkjet guy), but I know Mac's and wireless quite well.

Go to System Preferences > Network.  Choose your Airport on the left, then the Advanced button.

On the next screen, check the box that says "Create computer-to-computer networks".  This will allow ad-hoc networking directly with your printer.  Remember, radios like the Airport can only attach to one device at a time, so if it is connected to your printer it cannot be connected to a network.

Read more about it on page 26 of the manual.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I ran into the same problem, trying to get the LaserJet P1102w to work wirelessly with my MacBook (OS-X 10.6.5).  Neither the quick setup sheet nor the detailed instructions in the software disc addresses the Mac wireless setup at all.  I did find a You Tube step-by-step video that explains the procedure quite well.  It's a little complicated but if I hadn't found this video, I never would have figured it out on my own.  Just search You Tube for "Mac Wireless Setup - HP LaserJet P1102w".  Note:  The printer software must be installed prior to performing this procedure.  Once I got things right, the LaserJet performed flawlessly in wireless mode.

HP Recommended

I have followed the video on you tube, but when it comes time to add the printer I don't see my wireless one, only the one with the USB connect. and when I try without having the USB connected I dont see any printers. 

help please. 

HP Recommended

Try this utility: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e17-1&h_keyword=dg-NDU&ju...

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I have also just purchased an HP 1102w and am having difficulties setting up the printer wirelessly to my MAC which uses OS X 10.6.

The youtube video was a big help, but unfortunately I'm having the same problem as a previous poster ie: there is no wireless option to connect to, only a USB one. 

The blue light is flashing on the printer so it seems there is a connection alreay set-up to my home wifi.  What can I do to enable my MAC to recognise the wifi signal?  I've looked through the manual and checked out the above link but nothing has helped.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I have an HP P1102w, Mac (MacBook) running OS-X 10.5.8 and an Apple Express WiFi BaseStation.

The problem indicated by the flashing blue light is that the printer can see but not connect to the wireless network. I solved the problem by changing my wireless network password so that it does not include spaces.

HP's configuration. utility for the WPA security setting says enter password or pass phrase. This is misleading as they will not accept a real phrase.

The video mentioned earlier by mrvolvo shows the rest of the configuring quite well.

HP Recommended

@PrintDoc wrote:

Try this utility: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e17-1&h_keyword=dg-NDU&ju...

Unfortunately this utility seems to be a PC only application. Not sure if it might be of some value if you are using BootCamp or similar.

HP Recommended

Ooops, my mistake.  Thanks for the correction.  I have asked for a Mac version of this tool but it is not going to happen.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I have the same problem as the above postings.

Could it be the auto IP? it stays at 0.0.0.0

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.