Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wireless printing with an OfficeJet Pro 8620

OfficeJet Pro 8620
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hello everyone! I have an OfficeJet Pro 8620 and just recently swapped to a new Xfinity provided gateway from my old router. Ever since then I have no been able to print wirelessly from a mobile device (iPad or iPhone) and from a laptop has been OK but not overly reliable. While troubleshooting with Xfinity today I think I nailed the issue and a workaround but not a solution. From what I can tell anytime the router resets the printer looses its connection and I lose the printer from a mobile device or from the HP Utility app on my MacBook. Printing from a laptop works usually but not always. If I shut down the printer and restart it, all is good. Problem being Xfinity will periodically reset the modem for maintenance, updates, network issues in my area, squirrels on the lines, etc. OK that last one was a stretch but basically my router resets frequently and I typically don't even realize it so it is extremely annoying to find out when I am in a hurry and now have to stop and restart the printer just to print. Anyone else have this issue or could offer any advice?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
7,629 7,621 494 608
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wireless printing with an OfficeJet Pro 8620

Hi @Lounsbud

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

• Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the MAC and mobile device should be on the 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

If the issue persists, reset the wireless settings on the printer and reconnect to the network.

On the printer, go to Setup > Network > restore network defaults

Go back to Network > Wireless > Wireless setup wizard > Choose your network.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation