Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to set Printer Preferences/Properties to print in DRAFT Mode and the printer has a mind of its' own!  Whenever I try to do this, the printer automatically sets up to:  Printer Auto Select - Letter - HP Advanced Photo Papers and then checks "Custom".  Then I get a dialog box that tells me "One or More Conflicting Settings" - Media Type:  HP Advanced Photo Paper and Output Quality:  Draft

It won't resolve these conflicts and it won't let me resolve myself!

What am I doing wrong?  Why can't I get the printer in DRAFT mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I ended up calling Tech Support and they couldn't figure out the solution either.  Finally had to uninstall the complete softwaare package for the printer and then reinstalled it - that fixed the problem.  I am now able to print in DRAFT mode and on plain paper which is what I wanted (NOT HP Advance Photo Paper).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello, @Jam1eX – Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. 

I understand that you are trying to keep the draft mode as the default settings. The reason that you are getting this issue is may be because the draft setting was only for the normal paper and not for the photo paper. Try the steps below and check:

• Go to Devices and printer – Right-click on Officejet 8600 and select “Printing preferences”.
  • Select the paper type as “HP Advanced photo paper” / “HP Photo paper”.
  • Now select the quality as “Draft”.
  • Now, click on “Advanced” and then select the paper type as “HP Advanced photo paper”.
  • Save the settings and check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers & Wish you a very happy new year 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I ended up calling Tech Support and they couldn't figure out the solution either.  Finally had to uninstall the complete softwaare package for the printer and then reinstalled it - that fixed the problem.  I am now able to print in DRAFT mode and on plain paper which is what I wanted (NOT HP Advance Photo Paper).

HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy Photo 7100 All-in-One Printer series and a Mac computer.  I would like to print in draft mode but I am not seeing a setting alowing me to do this.  My HP that I had before this one had an obvious setting to set, but I am not able to find it on this printer. Does anyone have any suggestions, is this printer able to print in draft mode?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I just purchased an HP OfficeJet 5255 using a Windows 10 64 Bit Operating System.  My old HP OfficeJet 4632 allowed me to set as my preference default both Draft and Black Ink.  The 5255 Printing Preferences only allows a "Layout Tab" which only allows 1) to select Portrait or Landscape and 2) Under "Advanced Options" only allows Paper Size & Copy Count.  With my 4632 I had a wide range of options from Draft, Normal, Best with Black & White or Color.   What happened to those options?  If is does not allow for that, what OfficeJet model does so I can return this one?

HP Recommended

I just purchased an HP OfficeJet 5255 using a Windows 10 64 Bit Operating System. My old HP OfficeJet 4632 allowed me to set as my preference default both Draft and Black Ink. The 5255 Printing Preferences only allows a "Layout Tab" which only allows 1) to select Portrait or Landscape and 2) Under "Advanced Options" only allows Paper Size & Copy Count. With my 4632 I had a wide range of options from Draft, Normal, Best with Black & White or Color. What happened to those options? If is does not allow for that, what OfficeJet model does so I can return this one?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.