Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

HAVING PROBLEM  after recent Windows 10 update. The printer is ON THE WiFi NETWORK. It shows up on my Dell PC, Windows 10 OS. Set as DEFAULT PRINTER. I select print in any program  and I can look at the print status queue and see it spooling. Then it disappears as if it's printed. But the printer never prints anything. So, WHERE IS THE PRINTED document going? I've done all of the disconnects, power off, router off, reboot, uninstall, reinstall, check software upgrades, run HP diagnostics even after the cows came home . . . . . 

The frustrating issue is that my wife's Dell laptop, which is in the office above mine in our house, is configured EXACTLY THE SAME WAY and she can print everything she wants and everything I send her on the printer which is 12 inches from my elbow . . . . 

HELP?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DrNIck

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

I Understand you are in need of support and to help you out, I'm sending out a Private message with the information you need to get this sorted, 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

(The reason we are utilizing the private message is because the instructions are critical)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

@DrNIck

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher, is at your service (Like a Genie, however, without magic powers or a lamp) 😉 

As I understand you are unable to print from word documents, it's time we change that!

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

• Curious to know, is it just word or all Microsoft Office applications?
  • Did you check with an alternate user account profile?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to know & do:

(If it's an ongoing issue with all Microsoft apps)

The issue could have been caused by the security settings changed on the user profile. 

You may either create a new user, login with the new user profile to install the printer or Turn off the UAC from the control panel and Restart the PC. 

Here are the steps to configure UAC settings: 

• Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings. 
  • To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK.  
  • if you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off. 

Let me know how that pans out

I will have a colleague follow-up on this to ensure it's taken care off,

as I need to know if the issue has been resolved, to get proper sleep at night.

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nope. My IT guy was here, went through everything, tried your fix, still won't print from my printer. When the driver's reloaded and the printer is found, it shows up as a FX-printer. Reloaded from the disk -- shows as printer w/scan disabled, but still won't print from my computer. My wife ran three test files from her printer upstairs -- started immediately and printed each time.

We connected the printer using a cable. No luck.

The IT tech and I decided the printer is proof that black holes do exist -- and one is in this printer. So, time to dip into the budget and find a comparable replacement, hopefully on sale . . . and uses the same cartridges I have in my inventory . . . 

This one will be subject to the Office Space solution with the axe in the garage . . . . . 

DrD

HP Recommended

@DrNIck

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

That said, the analogy of black holes existence was quite hilarious, loved the quip!

However, I must clarify that the printer isn't the issue here, considering it works absolutely fine when printed from your wife's computer!

If it wasn't the UAC security settings as I had suggested earlier, it's probably an issue with the driver and here's what you may want to do, instead of the office space solution:

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: Click here

If a full feature driver from HP is not available for your printer, you must install the built-in print driver. A full feature driver for one or more Windows versions is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP print driver is built into the Windows operating system or is installed through the Windows Update feature on your computer. You do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

See the Frequently asked questions in this document for additional information, including how to scan using this driver.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. Worked up until Step 9. Can't delete the driver and/or the package.

The following package(s) cannot be deleted:

hpvyt14.inf (x64)
This package contains the following driver(s) that are in use:
HP Officejet Pro 6830; This driver is used on:
HP Officejet Pro 6830 (Copy 1)
HP Officejet Pro 6830

The following driver(s) cannot be deleted:

Driver HP Officejet Pro 6830 (x64) is in use. It is used on:
HP Officejet Pro 6830 (Copy 1)
HP Officejet Pro 6830

Neither shows up in the Printers & Scanners setting.

BTW, I've been through this dance before.

It's late/early in the morning. I'll tackle this later. Going on day 5 . . . with no solution. The definition of insanity is continuing to try and fix technology expecting a different result . . .

My 6835 is a black hole . . . .  nickstar_black_hole.jpg26Jun18_Printer Problems_Remove Driver_03D.jpg26Jun18_Printer Problems_Remove Driver_03C.jpg26Jun18_Printer Problems_Remove Driver_03B.jpg26Jun18_Printer Problems_Remove Driver_03A.jpg

HP Recommended

@DrNIck

It's great to have you back 😉

Stay with me, we should be able to get this sorted, shortly!

I suggest you try the below steps to get one step close to the taste of victory.. 😉

Step 1: Delete job files and restart

Whenever a print job is sent to the printer a file is created in Windows. Sometimes these files become corrupt and cause problems. To properly reset your printing environment, delete these print job files manually and restart both the computer and the printer.

View this video on YouTube.

1. Turn off the printer using the power button and then unplug the printer power cord from the power outlet.

2. Save your work. After using these steps, your current print jobs are lost and will need to be printed again.

3. Open Windows Services using one of the following methods:

• Search Windows for services, and click Services in the list of results.

• On your keyboard, press Windows key ( ) + R, type services.msc in the window that opens, and then click OK.

4. Scroll through the list of services and find the name Print Spooler.

5. Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop.

6. Figure : Stop selection for Print Spooler Service

Service window the Print Spooler service selected from the Name list and the Stop selection called out.
  7. After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.

8. Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.

9. Shut down your computer from Windows.

10. Make sure you printer has been unplugged for at least 60 seconds, and then plug the power cord into a power outlet.

11. Turn on the printer using the power button on the printer.

12. Turn on the computer and wait for Windows to open.

13. Try printing again and note what happens.

• If the printer prints, you are done.

• If the print job becomes stuck again, continue to the next step.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE AND FOLLOW STEP 2 ONWARD.

Alternatively, The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

CLICK HERE FOR STEPS AND DISABLE FIREWALL TEMPORARILY TO CHECK IF IT WORKS.

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

RIDDLE-DECIPHER -- I feel like a midway game. . . you're spending all your time and money on me with no return . . . not even a goldfish . . . .  So, here are two.

gold-fish-plastic-bag-9145661.jpg

I had gone through this process before -- found it on the FORUM -- up through "If the print job becomes stuck again."

It did, so I went through the 

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE AND FOLLOW STEP 2 ONWARD.

NOPE.  Did get the INTERNAL TEST PAGE TO PRINT.

27Jun18_Printer Problems_Print Doctor TEST PAGE_Internal YES_06.jpg

Alternatively, The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter:

CLICK HERE FOR STEPS AND DISABLE FIREWALL TEMPORARILY TO CHECK IF IT WORKS.

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

This took me to the same fix URL as the previous step. 

Ran the HP PRINT AND SCAN DOCTOR 5.1 Again. The end result.

27Jun18_Printer Problems_Print Doctor_FAIL_07.jpg

So, I'm batting .000 for the past 7 days at bat . . . .  I went out and honed the axe this afternoon . . . .  And put an HP8710 in my HP shopping cart. Now if I can just sell enough lemonade on my little stand on the corner to pay for it . . . . .

Gilda Radner_Its always something.jpg

nick

HP Recommended

@DrNIck

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

I Understand you are in need of support and to help you out, I'm sending out a Private message with the information you need to get this sorted, 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

(The reason we are utilizing the private message is because the instructions are critical)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm currently dealing with the same issue listed in this thread and have followed all the listed steps with no success.

I created several documents with mail merge and printed more than 400 copies in May and June on my HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M477fnw.  I opened the documents to print another round this weekend and they spool, then disappear.  In Devices and Printers, they never show up. 

Any more suggestions?

HP Recommended

Appreciaed reading through all of your various potential solutions for the, out-of-the-blue, "Word won't print," nightmare! I've been experiencing the same issue for the past three days and unsuccessfully attempted all of the suggestions you outline, as well as those offered on HP Support and Windows Virtual Assistant printer support, including uninstalling and reinstalling, confirming drivers, firmware, security services, unplug/wait/plug/restart for my HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn. All to no avail, I decided set a system restart point prior to the 7/1/18 and 7/11/18 "critical" Windows 10 updates. Am back in business! It's been a frustrating experience, to be sure, and, I'm not certain if I've lost anything by reverting back to a previous version, but I am, knock on wood, printing docs from MS Word (2007). I decided, 72 hours in, that the July updates must be the culprits, given the recent initial hit 'n miss ability to print from Word, and then unable to print from Word at all, though able to print e-mail and other non-MS Office documents/files. While this may not be the "correct" solution, technically, Word docs are printing, and I need to return to producing an variety of printed materials. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.