Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6835
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

My 2-year-old printer stopped printing in black 2 days ago.  All cartridges are about 1/2 full & the colors still worked fine. I have only used HP ink cartridges for life of the printer. Read tips for cleaning printheads and after I took cartridges out & slid carrier over, I could see about 1/8-1/16" of ink in the bottom of the machine and on/inside a gray belt (black to begin with) - it was all under where the ink cartridge carrier would rest when not in use. I spent hours yesterday sucking out ink with q-tips and a hypo needle. Cleaned as best I could and tried the print tests...would not print in black. Went today & bought new printer & warranty. Before I disconnected the old 6835, I ran through the 4 levels of printhead cleaning again.  Through the 1st 3, no black. Once I did the 4th one, low & behold I got the black to print. It was very black on the big ABC and 2 blocks at bottom and gets sketchy on the smaller, lower letters of alphabet. My question is...what could have caused the ink leakage so bad (it does not appear that any of the cartridges are leaking on their own)? Considering taking back the new printer, but don't know if this will be a recurring problem. Anyone else have this happen?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The area with the ink where the cartridges park is the service station.  It is normal for ink to be in this area - that is where ink is "spit" to keep the nozzles clear.  Running cleaning cycles will deposit ink in this area, as will the normal servicing.

It is not necessary or desirable to clean the service station area.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The area with the ink where the cartridges park is the service station.  It is normal for ink to be in this area - that is where ink is "spit" to keep the nozzles clear.  Running cleaning cycles will deposit ink in this area, as will the normal servicing.

It is not necessary or desirable to clean the service station area.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I appreciate the reply and explanation. I was surprised because it was a LOT of thick ink and that it covered and was inside the belt. As far as the black ink not working, I guess that is normal and just continue doing the 4 levels of advanced cleaning when it happens again? Guess I'll take the new printer back. I really do like this printer (my 6835) and how it functions & was very happy with it 'til this problem. I'm hoping that I get another 2 years out of it...Thank you for volunteering to do this!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.