Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet GT 5820 M2Q28A
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Printer Serial #: 

[Personal Information Removed]

I was printing some photos on photo paper, when, after 3 phtotos, I saw that a particular photo was getting printed with excessive blue tint. I ran the "clean printhead" option in the utility. In the process, I realised that the ink valve was in closed (horizontal position). To clarify, I KNOW I had opened it before my first print, and have NO idea when I closed it. Anyways, I opened it this time, and ran the clean printer thing again. 

The diagnostic page looked normal, but the yellow was a bit faded. I printed the photo again, but the blue tint remained. Ran the clean option again, and this time the yellow did not show at all. It's been that way since.

Here are some of the things I tried:

1. I've tried closing and re-opening the valve several times
  2. Checked the tube colors - all are very dark except yellow, which is deep yellow, but not red like it shows up in the help page.
  3. I saw an earlier suggestion in the forum to try printing without the cap on the yellow ink tank. 
  4. I tried both default print mode and Photo paper mode.
  5. Of course, swtched it off and on several times.
  6. Finally tried both over WiFi and USB.

None of this worked. Given the printer has been home barely 10 days, I expect that this is not a wear and tear or wrong use issue. I mean, anyone can inadvertently forget to open the ink valve. Does this kill the head? Then I sure bought the wrong product.

The only HP support center offering on-site support is not answering the phone.

Any idea how to fix this please?

PS: I tried registering the product online. It said "we are sending you mail, would you like to create account?" I said yes, but after taking my password, it said "Registration is temporarily unavailable". Rather underwhelming. I registered again in this forum. Now I don't know if this product is registered, if so is it linked to my account? 

Any help will be welcome for this too.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Gopal_Kolathu

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP DeskJet GT 5820 All-in-One Printer and is facing print quality issues. I read that there is a blue tint and also the yellow colour is faded. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

I suggest you to review the steps as described in detail from this link: Fixing Poor Print Quality. Please skip the steps which you have already performed. If the printer continues to have print quality issues then I suggest you to contact HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your printer. Alos, the phone support can manually register the printer in HP's database so that the warranty applies for this printer. 

I hope this information helps. Please keep me posted if you have any further questions. Good luck! 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Gopal_Kolathu

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP DeskJet GT 5820 All-in-One Printer and is facing print quality issues. I read that there is a blue tint and also the yellow colour is faded. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

I suggest you to review the steps as described in detail from this link: Fixing Poor Print Quality. Please skip the steps which you have already performed. If the printer continues to have print quality issues then I suggest you to contact HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your printer. Alos, the phone support can manually register the printer in HP's database so that the warranty applies for this printer. 

I hope this information helps. Please keep me posted if you have any further questions. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks Kazi. I've actually gone through that page, and in fact reached this forum via the link contact support after having gone through the 9 yards. 

Meanwhile, I also chatted with HP Support yesterday, and they've opened a case for this after having determined that it is a hardware issue. On their request, I've mailed them the barcode image, and Amazon order / invoice particulars. I'm hoping for a clear resolution today. 

If HP's position continues to be "out of warranty" then I'll exercise the Goods Return option under Amazon and then consider my options for the next course of action for relief from a situation that I did not create.

Gopal

HP Recommended

@Gopal_Kolathu

You're most welcome. 🙂

I'm glad to know that you were able to reach out to HP chat support for the further course of action.Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have anymore questions. All the best! 

HP Recommended

Thanks Kazi. HP have reached out to me, and an Engineer is on his way. Fingers crossed, will update this community on the results. Thank you for the support thus far.

PS: I think the warranty question is killed. I identified packing carton labels that establish that the printer was shipped out to HP India in November 2016, hence the question of warranty expiry in Oct 2016 does not arise. Have sent this to the team as part of the ticket pack.

HP Recommended

Hi @Gopal_Kolathu, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply. I am sure the onsite technician will help you resolve the issue. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey guys - Engineer Sanjay Biswas visited yesterday, and resolved the issue. 

His diagnosis: Since I'd forgotten to open the ink-valve, and owing to the suction effect of ink in the head getting used up, air bubbles entered the head and prevented further  suction from occuring on the yellow channel.

Action: Opened the blue cap, removed the head**, blew and cleared the channel, ran the "Clean Head" function couple of times.

** He cautioned me that this activity is to be performed only by trained professionals....

Result: Ink flowing, print quality restored.

Customer response: Fully satisfied. Sanjay went beyond call of duty and shared useful tips for getting better photograph prints from his own personal experience and, and also suggested that I should keep the printer exercised with a photo-paper, fine quality print every week, just to ensure that all the 180 nozzles for each color are fully exercised.

I've recorded as much in my written feedback on his report, and I hope he gets recognized for his work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.