Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4630
Microsoft Windows XP

HP Officejet 4630, approx 2 yrs old. After replacing the color cartridge I received the message that the black cartridge had to be replaced. Did that, but screen still gives the same message and won't let me past the message. I have taken each cartridge out and reinserted NUMEROUS times and still have same message. I've restarted the printer, unplugged and let it sit for awhile and gone to every page I can find about troubleshooting with no resolution. HELP

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve the cartridge error on your Officejet 4630 printer.  You have done some of the steps already, I would suggest going through the steps in order.  Be sure to clean the cartridge and printer contacts as shown in Solution Three.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I followed ALL of the steps - in order. In fact I started over and did the complete mumbo-jumbo again. And the result was the same. I have since replaced that printer with a new HP printer.  Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question I really appreciate your time.

I would like to find a solution so that I can keep my old one as a back-up. If you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate your passing them on.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your previous answer. In your opinion, would it benefit me to uninstall this printer, then re-install it? Would it be possible that it would solve my problem?

HP Recommended

FYI - I uninstalled the printer and re-installed it. I finally got a message that the color cartridge I had installed was damaged and had to be replaced! So after spending numerous hours, purchased three other printers and had to return them all, then re-installing I finally get the message that solves the entire problem! Why on earth didn't I get this message at least a week ago????? Would have saved a lot of stress and heartburn! 

Thanks for your reply and trying to help - it was greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

I am glad your issue was resolved.  It is uncommon, but there are cases where a particular cartridge failure can make the other cartridge appear to be the failure.

If your was an original HP (not a reman or refill) the cartridges do have a warranty, see the document here for information. To get warranty coverage you will need to go to the Contact HP page, then enter the information for your printerAt this point it will likely say "Manufacturer's warranty has expired"  To the right of this it will say "See details".  Click the "See details" link, which will open another page with more details.  Near the bottom of the text will be a paragraph that says : 

HP has checked your product information, including the product and serial numbers, to determine your warranty results.The legal warranty expiration date is based on the date of purchase, as indicated on your receipt. If you feel these results are incorrect, you may submit a dispute for review. Dispute this 

Click on the "Dispute this" link which will ask for some additional contact information.  Fill out the contact information, then in the bottom section select: 

Dispute reason  

Issue with my Accessories, Supplies and/or Software. 

In the comment section indicate that you have a defective supply that is in warranty, you have verified the supply is defective by switching it with a replacement supply.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

The link to the troubleshooting steps is dead.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.