Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp 8600 911g
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been beating my head against the wall for a while.   Was really close today to replacing this printer and I saw a software update on July 24, 2018 and a firmware update as of today.

I cannot figure out how to update the firmware.    I have logged directly into the printer and it gives great info, but no firmware update options.  

None of the online videos apply to this printer.

I have put a USB in the printer and turned it on and off and nothing.

The actual software update seems just to be  BING tool bar for HP,  that is something I would not want.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@kneafseym

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are unable to update the printer firmware.

Could you please describe what issue are you facing on the printer and why are you updating the printer firmware?

Meanwhile , I see that there is a latest firmware released on Jul 31, 2018 for your printer.

Follow the below steps to update the printer firmware:-

1. Make sure the printer is on and connected to the computer, either through your local network or a USB cable.

2. Click here and then click Download.

If a Firmware section is not listed, an update is not currently available for your printer.

3. Save the file to your computer.

4. Locate and then open the file to start the installation process.

5. When the HP Printer Update window opens, see if the printer serial number displays.

• If the serial number displays, select the checkbox next to it, and then click Update.

• If the serial number displays but the status is 'not applicable' (grayed out), you do not need to complete the firmware update. Click Cancel.

• If the serial number does not display and your printer uses a network connection, connect a USB cable to the printer and computer, wait 20 seconds, and then click Refresh. When the serial number displays, select the checkbox next to it, and then click Update.

The HP Printer Update utility window showing a serial number selected for an HP OfficeJet 4650 and an activity bar showing that the update is in progress.

6. When the update completes, click OK.

7. If you connected a USB cable to update your network printer, remove the USB driver installed by Windows.

1. Search Windows for Devices and Printers, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.

2. Right-click the USB printer device that matches your printer model, and then select Remove Device.

3. Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer, and then restart the computer.

Let me know if that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same post a Kudos.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@kneafseym

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are unable to update the printer firmware.

Could you please describe what issue are you facing on the printer and why are you updating the printer firmware?

Meanwhile , I see that there is a latest firmware released on Jul 31, 2018 for your printer.

Follow the below steps to update the printer firmware:-

1. Make sure the printer is on and connected to the computer, either through your local network or a USB cable.

2. Click here and then click Download.

If a Firmware section is not listed, an update is not currently available for your printer.

3. Save the file to your computer.

4. Locate and then open the file to start the installation process.

5. When the HP Printer Update window opens, see if the printer serial number displays.

• If the serial number displays, select the checkbox next to it, and then click Update.

• If the serial number displays but the status is 'not applicable' (grayed out), you do not need to complete the firmware update. Click Cancel.

• If the serial number does not display and your printer uses a network connection, connect a USB cable to the printer and computer, wait 20 seconds, and then click Refresh. When the serial number displays, select the checkbox next to it, and then click Update.

The HP Printer Update utility window showing a serial number selected for an HP OfficeJet 4650 and an activity bar showing that the update is in progress.

6. When the update completes, click OK.

7. If you connected a USB cable to update your network printer, remove the USB driver installed by Windows.

1. Search Windows for Devices and Printers, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.

2. Right-click the USB printer device that matches your printer model, and then select Remove Device.

3. Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer, and then restart the computer.

Let me know if that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same post a Kudos.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sandy, does this printer auto update the firmware?   I am getting the NA, so it would indicate the firmware was updated already.    Seeing that the firmware was just released a few days ago, that is pretty good.

HP Recommended

@kneafseym

Thank you for your reply. 

As @sandytechy20 is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

If the "printer update" menu in the printer is set to "auto update" only then the printer will automatically perform the firmware updates as an when released by HP for this model. 

You may print a printer status report to check the firmware version. The firmware version will be mentioned in the report:

Once the report prints, in the printer information section it shows the printer information (such as the printer name, model number, serial number, and firmware version number),

To check or set the printer to auto update, please review the below steps:

I sincerely hope this information helps. Feel free to keep me posted for any further questions.

Take care!

HP Recommended

Hi, I am trying to update the firmware on OfficeJet 4650 AIO, the update downloads OK, printer attempts to install updated firmware but install fails. I have tried with wireless and USB connection, both direct from printer touch screen and via built in web server. Current firmware installed is 

Firmware Version CUP1FN1830AR Built Date 2018-07-26

Can anyone help me overcome this problem?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@MaWa321 Here's all you need to know about firmware upgrades for your printer and how to install them:

HP regularly releases new printer firmware versions with product enhancements or issue fixes. Depending on your printer, apps on the printer control panel might also receive updates. Update firmware and apps on a regular basis to make sure you are getting the most out of your printer.

Use one of the following methods to upgrade the firmware. If one method does not work, try one of the other methods.

caution:

Do NOT turn off the printer until the update is complete. Turning off the printer during an update can damage your printer.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.