Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my ink cartridges are about 1/2 full I cannot print in color from my desk top. BUT no problem printing in color from my cell phone. I have to remove the HP printer and reinstall every time. Why does this happen?  This just started about 6 months ago.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@izzie70,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your Printer?
  • Are you facing the same issue when you make a copy?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My model  is HP OFFICEJET PRO 6968

When I make a copy it's ok.  Like I said it's my computer, I have done numerous trouble shooting, sometimes my computer can't find the printer, even though it's there. Printing from my cell phone is in color, copies from the printer is ok. I just can't prink in color from my computer when the ink is 1/2 full. Everything prints in black.

HP Recommended

@izzie70

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you root uninstall the printer and then reinstall it and check whether the issue is resolved.

Here is how it is done.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Restart the PC

Add the printer using IP address -

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.

2. Choose “Printers & scanners“.

3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“.

4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.

5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.

6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.

7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 

8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Next time I have this issue I will complete the instructions you gave me. I don't dare to do this now in case I have a problem.I need a lot of paperwork printed. 

HP Recommended

@izzie70

Thank you for keeping me posted.

Do let me know if you need further assistance.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.