Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2620
macOS 10.12 Sierra

My new Deskjet 2620 and the HP website are driving me crazy.

On the printer software options I cannot find any way to print a color document!! Doh!! I unchecked the Black and White option box, but it still doesn't print color. In fact I can't even find the place to make a custom setting with all my favourite settings on it!! The settings are stuck on US Letter size paper too, and greyed out so I can't change it to A4. And when I choose page order Normal, it keep defaulting to Automatic, which I don't want. Nor can I find any of this info in the user guide or on the website - amazing and unbelievable!~ Can anyone help please?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@diannecheryl

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Try making a color copy to check the hardware functionality of the printer.
  • If the color copy does not work, check the ink level in the color ink cartridge or try with an alternate/new color ink cartridge.
  • If color copy works fine, follow these steps.

Step 1: Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Step 2: Check the print settings on a MAC, refer to this document

Step 3: To know how to create a custom paper size, click here

If you have followed these steps and issue still persists, let us reinstall the printer using the Airprint drivers:

1. Update software on Mac 
  2. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
  3. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.
  4.  If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.
  5. Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.
  6. Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.
  7. Select AirPrint from the Use menu
  8. Try to print.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your attention.

The first thing I had done was do a color copy to check the function - it's fine, it copies in color OK. And the color cartridge is brand new because I just bought the printer a few hours before setting it up and testing it.

And I did check the printer name is there correctly in System Preferences.

My Mac OS is 10.12, so that's compatible.

I just turned on the printer and downloaded the firmware updater from your link. The program returns message that it has no updates - see this screen shot:Firmware Updater msg.png

"Step 2: Check the print settings on a MAC, refer to this document" - I had already done all that.

Unchecking Black & White DOES NOT print in color.

Saving my preset for color printing seems to work but still DOES NOT print in color.

There is NO "unnamed print options menu at the separator bar to display more settings options." There's no separator bar, there's no unnamed print options menu.

Seems nothing I do can make it print in color.

What to do now?

Another problem is that every time I turn the printer on, or print a document, it also prints a test page! Such a waste of ink and paper - how do I stop it from doing that?

P.S.

Another question is why aren't your instructions in the official guide for printer?

BTW, your webmaster could do a spell check! Screen shot shows the word 'Update' spelled rather creatively!Updatete!Updatete!

HP Recommended

@diannecheryl

Let us try resetting the printing system on MAC:

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Printers & Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax.

3. Right-click (or Control + click) anywhere inside the Printers window, and then click Reset printing system.

Figure : Clicking Reset printing system

Image: Click Reset printing system
  4. Click Reset or OK.

5. If prompted, type your username and password, and then click OK.

The printing system resets.

6. Turn off the printer, wait 5 seconds, and then turn on the printer.

7. Wait until the printer is idle and silent.

8. In the Printers window on the Mac, click the Add button .

9. Select your printer from the list, and then click Add.

It might take a few seconds before your printer displays in the Printers list.

10. Try to print to check.

• I understand these instructions are not available in the User guide as these are part of troubleshooting. However, I will forward this to the specific team so that they can check on it.
  • The spelling mistake on the firmware update window could be a glitch which will also be brought to the notice of the respective team.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

I appreciate your efforts. However before I got your reply, I'd called HP and the agent on the phone remote controlled my computer and fixed the problem. She intalled the whole software properly. It turns out to be the fault of poor HP materials. When the printer is first plugged in, intead of taking the customer straight to the correct web page to download and install the right software for print/copy/scan, it goes to HP Smart app, which DOES NOT install the software! I find this very stupid. It has cost me many hours of troubleshooting, frustration, time on forums, and an hour of a HP agent's time to get it fixed, when HP could simply have put the correct url on the guide, installation materials or first printer screen. So me, ie any customer, has to GUESS that we need to go hunting for something else, assuming that HP would have made the proper installation the default process. Ridiculous!

thanks,

Dianne

HP Recommended

@diannecheryl

• AirPrint Drivers are the best suitable drivers when it comes to MAC, it is Unfortunate that it did not resolve this issue.
  • HP Smart app is the default app that the HP website redirects the users to download as it is compatible with the printer. However, I will take your feedback and notify it to the respective team of engineers.
  • Glad to know the issue is now resolved using the HP Drivers. Feel free to contact us if any concerns with HP products.
  • Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.