Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@JJsMom8506 wrote:

I've had my Officejet Pro 8500A for nearly a year now. I always loved it - until now! Apparently we all have the same problem - you can't print in black and white with no yellow ink. I will NEVER buy an HP printer again. Brother products only from here on out. [snip]

There are several different printing technologies.  Some inkjet printers have separate ink supplies and printheads.  These generally require ink in each color to prevent damage to the printhead, regardless of what manufacturer you choose.  In the case of the 8500a, black and yellow are printed with a common printhead.  Allowing printing with one color out could clog to the printhead or cause permamant damage to the printhead, requiring service later.  Sorry you are having this issue, but for this printer and others like it (from any manufacturer) you will need to replace the empty supply.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

About HP : I do not know how long it takes to bang your head on the walls to find normal pay as much for putting ink on paper in 2012!!. They have a very strong desire to rob people with the complicity of 3-4 other major in the printer industry. ** Shame on HP **

About the extremely ridiculous cost of HP ink cartrige (and even printhead)  : HP is the most greedy thief in the industry, their printers is quite useless in terms of real cost of printing. It is cheaper to buy an entire new computer each 3-4 years than the cost of the stupid ink cartrige.... I'm sure the ink cost is more than the cost to operate the very first flinestone printer in the 70'  This is clearly not normal, they deserves a strong disapproval from their victims (their user)  I hope someday people like me will make the difference by reducing HP revenus by banning any HP product for life.  ** Shame on HP **

ABOUT HOW TO BYPASS THE CARTRIDGE CHECK AND CONTINUE TO USE YOUR PRINTER WITH UNUSED EMPTY CARTRIGE :

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Officejet-Pro-8500-How-can-you-print-without-c...

Look for magebomba solution in page two...always make sure you dont try to print with the empty ink cartrige to prevent air in the system.

Sorry for this 🙂

HP Recommended

I agree with the above post.  I wish I can meet the man who came up with these fabulous idea of not being able to do anything all due to yellow ink.  Nice JOB! in ruining your reputation and causing future stocks to go down.  It is obvious that this is a scam to get people to keep purchasing ink even though they only want to use black.  I will defenitely not reccomend anyone HP printers in the future even if you make an offer that can't be refused.  I will pass the bad news onto all family members not to buy Hp Printers again, and publisize this bad experience all over facebook and all social medias.  I hope that your future was worth ripping poeple off for a short term gain.  Taking Essentials and Accounting Long term gains are always better than the short ones.  I will take this back and consider writing good revews about Hp printers only if there is a valuable update that corrects all these issues:

1.  There is no need for the printheads to be cleaned every time on startup, and I know that everytime it does do a clean up it is using ink aswell, in my opinion wasting.

2.  Just because one ink catridge is empty WE THE PEOPLE should be able to still use OUR PRINTER that WE purchased.

3.  The people should still be able to use all other fuctions even if ther is only "one catridge" empty.

Im sure that you have heard this before, Customer is always right, but in your case this is Dictatorship style forcing us to by ink. I hope you present this to the board of Directors, because I'm sure they will not be trilled of all their customers complaining about a BAD FINANCE STRATEGY your FINANCIAL TEAM proposed.

UPDATE HP 8500A SOON or loose business, your call........;)

HP Recommended

That's bull if the rpint heads must retain ink then why can you print when you run out of black ink. The units nicely come up with this option to let you use all the colors to simulate black ink. This is pretty poor I really love my 6700 it up to this point was the best printer I have owned. I had a paper due in three hours that needs to be signed into the County Clerk's office. I have a brand new exlended black cartridge and because of a color that I don't need at the moment I'm screwed. That is pretty poor change the software because the line your feeding is bull. 

HP Recommended

Ha I found a way.. I had an extra pink one so I took the bottom of the cartidge off and placed it on the pink. Works perfect until i need yellow. lol theres always a way unless you don't have extra ink.

HP Recommended
I mean replaced it on the yellow.
HP Recommended

@johnathanbreaux wrote:

Ha I found a way.. I had an extra pink one so I took the bottom of the cartidge off and placed it on the pink. Works perfect until i need yellow. lol theres always a way unless you don't have extra ink.

This will likely cause your printer to never print properly in color again.  Yellow is a very light hue, easily contaminated.  You have now filled the ink supply tubes and printhead with magenta ink.  If you ever want to print color you will find that yellow comes out red, perhaps for more than an entire fresh yellow supply....  It does not take much magenta ink to contaminate yellow, and you have a lot of magenta to flush out of the system if you ever want to print in true colors again.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply but I dont use color. There would be a way to flush the sytem right?

HP Recommended

@johnathanbreaux wrote:

Thanks for the reply but I dont use color. There would be a way to flush the sytem right?

The question that comes to mind would be "why buy a color printer if you do not use color"?

It will be very difficult to flush out the magenta ink from the yellow supply and printheads.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

First off I didnt buy it. Second ,Is there a way? and I guess I do use color, just to clean my printheads. LOL. I guess over a couple of new yellow cartridges i will be fine. How difficult would it be? How do you know? From experience? I could understand it's common knowledge but are you sure it would be hard? I guess the question I'm mainly concerned about is, is there a manual way Mr.. Microsoft MVP Windows Expert.

Again Thanks,

Johnathan Breaux

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.