Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520

I do not have an option to print in colour - the printing preferences box does not have an option to change from greyscale to colour.  I have previously been able to print in colour.  I have also removed the device & reinstalled it.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Could you please let me know what is the OS on the computer?

is it windows or MAC?

if its windows could you also please do the below steps.

go to control panel

devices and printers

here you will have your printer icon, rt click and go to printer properties

go to the ports tab and check as to what port is being used( you will have a check mark on the port that is being used)

please get back and i'll assist you further.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Hello, 

Firstly try making a Color Copy of a image / document. If it does not print in Color, then the issue could be either the Ink Cartridges or the Print-head mechanism. Else, I'd suggest you to check for any pending Windows Update to be installed. If yes, then go ahead and install the Windows Updates. Restart the printer and then try printing and check if it prints in color.

If issue still persists, you may uninstall the existing printer software, restart the PC, and download and install the printer software using the below URL. https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-4520-all-in-one-printer-series/5447920

If you are using Windows 10, then i'd suggest you to use HP SMART APP. Below is the url to download the HP SMART APP.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04675142 

Regards,
Jabzi

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

Hi - it is running on Windows 10 on my laptop (also connected to the kids' PC).  Port WSD-1.  Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help - I have done all as suggested, but still no luck.  There just doesn't seem to be a function for colour print...I have options for print on both sides, etc but nothing regarding colour/grayscale.  Have printed a copy & there is definitely colour in the cartridge & it is printing in colour via copy, just not on the print facility.

HP Recommended

Hi,

It could be because of the printer using WSD port. Please try using the standard TCP/IP port.

look for any standart TCP/IP port with the printer IP and select that.
apply OK, then try
if you dont have a Standard TCP/IP port with the printer IP then add a new port
(you need to have the printer IP handy)
Add port>
standard TCP/IP port
new port
click next on the wizard
put the printer IP address and complete the setup
then select that port and try again, yo should have the color option.

Please try the steps and check if that works.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Thanks Silvyg - I have added the port as suggested - still no change 😞   Interestingly enough, I have also tried to print from the HP app...I have the option on there to "print in colour" rather than monochrome or greyscale, and I have clicked that option, but it is still printing in greyscale...really don't know what to do!

HP Recommended

Hi, I had the same problem i think.

I have an HP 4520 that is working fine since two years on 3 differents computer (one laptop/ win10, one mac/macOS, and an other mac running macos and win10 bootcamp). Never had a problem.

But since i bought an new desktop computer (win10) i had issue with it. I couldn't print in color ! Like you i had no otpion for color/grayscale. I did every step recommended (reinstall the driver, install the driver of another model, etc.. with no luck). Then i landed on a post in french on microsoft forums with someone with the same problem which have found the solution : Delete ONEDRIVE !

I gave it a shot, uninstall all HP software and drivers, then unstall OneDrive software, and reinstall the hp driver/software. Don't ask me why, but it worked !! I can finally print in color !

So if you have onedrive, give it a try, uninstall it !

Well... i spoke too fast, i was able to print one doc in color, but now that i'm trying again, the problem is back... i'm gonna give up soon. sorry

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I wanted to know if you did try using the HP SMART APP for Windows 10.

Here is the URL https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142 

Regards,
Jabzi

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried Hp Smart app, with no luck, i tried basic driver, with no luck, i tried drivers from other model of hp printers, with no luck.

In an deseperate attempt, i uninstalled the driver (as each uninstall i'v done: following the step of some expert on this forum; deep uninstall of driver and package, etc..) and tried one more time to add the printer in the windows printer and scanner parameter (so without dowloading any driver or app myself), and it just worked !

I've no clue why, because i've already tried this, the printer was recognized but unable to function, i had to install the drivers. Not this time. I can now print in color, the option grayscale/color now appear correctly in the print options, the available type of paper have change (there is more option). Everything is working as expected.

I really don't know what happenned, first time i really struggle that hard with a bug hard trying different installs and methods, wasting dozens of sheet and plenty of black ink testing out, being so frustrated because it's has always worked great on my other computer running the same system (and still work great) !...Now i'm just crossing my fingers that it will stay functional.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.