12-29-2019 03:52 PM
When trying to print a half fold greeting card, my printer HP OfficeJet 4655 starts printing when the paper is about half way in. Almost in the middle of the page. I've been having this problem for a couple of months now. Is it the paper thickness/weight?
Its an 80lb white half fold greeting card. I never had this problem before.
I would appreciate any help with this. I have been on the HP site and tried several things....none of which worked.
When I run a regular computer paper through, it prints correctly. But I need it to be a half fold card.
12-29-2019 04:53 PM
The printer supports "card" paper in "Index" (ISO for paper type manufacture) as shown in the Specifications
Up to 200 g/m2 (110 lb index)
Up to 20 cards (17 mm [0.67 inch] stacked)
If the is the paper weight, it has something to do with the type of "card" paper.
80lb Bond or Cover is not the same thing as 80lb Index paper.
The differences, which are important, are not always apparent on the packaging.
The printer does not support 80lb Bond, even in Media Photo Paper.
If you want to learn more, there are many (many) articles on the Internet.
Search (for example): paper weight chart
From your description, the cause of the dragging and misprinting might be the weight of the paper.
If you have used this exact paper previously, the source of the problem is elsewhere.
We do not know what you have tried - anything I suggest is guessing and likely duplicating what you have done.
- Pre-made folded card paper may not work - the crease in the card may cause the sensor to balk as the paper is drawn in. There is no fix for this. OK, you could iron out the crease, but it may not help and may burn the paper.
- If the printer is dirty, things that used to work can stop working.
- The combination of settings must be supported - for example Paper Size, Media, Source (Tray), and whether or not Duplex is supported.
- Drivers can become unusable - driver corruption is more subtle than outright errors in settings because "what should work" can stop working without any apparent reason.
- If the printer control panel is unaware of the "different" paper loaded in the tray, the printer does not know to change the way it draws in the paper and sets the rollers.
Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Panel
Open Printer Tray,
If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type
IF applicable for your printer:
On the printer control panel, Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK
NOTE: If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down list, Select Custom
- If custom paper size is supported, the custom size must still fall within the specifications for "Supported Custom Sizes". Datasheet > Media Sizes Custom Simplex: 3 x 5 to 8.5 x 14 in; Duplex: 3 x 5.5 to 8.5 x 12.2 inch
Dragon Document – Collection of Help, suggestions, and examples:
Print Labels, Business Cards, Cards, Booklet, Create Template/Table
Topics / Subjects, various, including:
- Labels, Cards, and Business Cards
- Office Word
- HP Photo Creations and Avery Templates
- Avery Design and Print (through Windows 10.x) and Mac
- Print from PDF feature
- Avery Wizard for Word (through Windows 8.x)
- Printing and Printing Preferences – Notes
- Print Booklet
- Foxit Reader - Booklet
- Adobe Reader - Booklet
- Print on Inside of Greeting Card - Test
- Additional Help (Documents and Notes)
Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer
Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)
Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.
We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.