Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp deskjet 2540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello 

My printer refuses to print and tells me that the cartridge isn't an original one or that it is empty. ( my choice apparently ).

Whether I use an original one or a copy  that is suppose to work It tells me the same thing. It simply won't/can't print. There is nothing wrong with the cartridges.

Funny thing is that it doesn't have a problem when it calibrates.  The test page is printed without a problem.

Mighty picky for a simple 2540.

What is going on here ?

Regards

Peter.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @peterstein,

Great to have you back and thank you for the information.

I would like to know whether the printer is working now? 

As you have mentioned that the printer is not connecting to your wireless network as well, I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2BH7KiU

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @peterstein,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are getting an error saying ink cartridge is not genuine.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the printer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2CE5pZJ

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello F 

Problem not really solved. I tried all your suggestions in the past by the way ( no help )  Turned printer on five minutes ago, got all these alarming messages ( no paper, cartridge empty, not genuine cartridge ) and the printer started printing anyway without me having done anything yet.

The HP print doctor can't really help. Believe I have tried. And to make matters worse: wireless doesn't work either.

Perhaps it's time I tried a new printer. They always seem to be the weakest link.

Thanks

Peter.

HP Recommended

Hi @peterstein,

Great to have you back and thank you for the information.

I would like to know whether the printer is working now? 

As you have mentioned that the printer is not connecting to your wireless network as well, I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2BH7KiU

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reaction F ( I'm taking liberties with your name, but I'm sure you'll  understand.)

Yesterday I decided to buy a new printer: deskjet 3637 and not just one but two ( they were on sale ) ,so problem solved.

Until they start malfunctioning ofcourse.

Thanks for your help

Peter.

HP Recommended

By the way, I can't give you the kudos you so richly deserve. The thumbs up button tells me so, I don't know why.

But consider them given !

Regards

Peter.

HP Recommended

Hi @peterstein,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.