Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Dell laptop with Windows 7 64bit operating system and an HP Officejet 6500 wirelless printer. My computer shows the printer being offline, even though it's online and working, but my computer doesn't seem to recognize that. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and updated the printer software, I have reinstalled the printer on the computer - it worked for one day! Now back to square one. I have newly set up the printer (wireless set up) and it all seems to be working right, except the communication between my computer and the printer - any help?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I hope you aer doing well and sorry to learn tha you are having this issue;

Let's make sure that the printer have the latest firmware GO HERE.

Does you printer have an static IP Address?

Set one if it does not. let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Configuration Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. The IP address outside the range that the router automatically uses to lease the Addresses (called the DHCP range). To know your DHCP range consult with your router manual or in the case that the router is provided by the ISP Internet Service Provider you need to talk to them to find it.

- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.

- Use Google public DNS Servers which are  8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second.
- Click 'Apply'.

Use this tool GO HERE (I am not certain that the tool works with your printer but is worth a try)  and update the thread (post again) if the tool find any errors that you cannot fix.

Hope this helps and do not hesitate to post again in case that this does not help. I will do my best to assist you.

Regards;

RobertoR

And Remember...

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :OpenSmile:
HP Recommended

I believe all you need to do is just reload the driver. Since it's been almost a year I'd go to the manufacturer's web site and check for latest drivers. There's very likely a more current driver than what your printer software CD has on it.

Then do a manual load of the printer (go to printers, click the "add a printer", when it comes to the driver page say "have disk", and then your C drive where you just loaded your new driver to will be the location of the driver).

I have a HP Photosmart 5510 wireless and my computer tells me the printer is offline, which it isn't.  I have turned both off and restarted everything but I still get the same message.  Anyone has the same problem?

HP Recommended

Hi gdodd

I understand the computer isn't recognizing the printer.

I would power cycle the router and try printing again.

I have included a document for issues for not maintaining a wireless connection. It would be a good idea to setup a static ip also. Solution two: Assign the printer a static IP address

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03418017

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same problem, and when I try to put the printer's IP address into a browser nothing happens - the page cannot be displayed/ problem loading page. The printer is HP 6830 (bought 2 days ago) and the wireless signal is strong; the computer's connection is working fine; the printer-computer connection is working sporadically, but mostly it's saying the printer is offline 😞 Any help much appreciated. I think I need to set a static IP address for the printer, but I can't follow the instructions for doing so. Cheers and thanks, John

HP Recommended

None of the attached computers to the network can identify the printer when connected wirelessly. The router shows it is connected but none of the computers can find it on the network. If I connected it wired(which I don't want to connected it that way across the room) it works fine and all computers can find it. But wireless only the router identifies it is there.

HP Recommended

i have windows 10. i went to settings clicked printers and selected "let windows select default printer"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.