Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2636
Linux

I have a relatively new deskjet 2636 all-in-one I inherited and have used it successfully with my system for many months. I believe it was after changing the black cartridge and doing the page scan for alignment that suddenly the page size defaults to 8x10 and I can change it but when I print it reverts to 8x10 and lops off the right side and bottom of the page. I've tried to redo the alignment scan. Have deleted the printer and drivers and reinstalled every way I know how from using the HPLIP gui, manually, from the command line and even via CUPS. I've tried using the HPCUPS and HPIJS 3.19.8 drivers and even though the printer settings reported by either HPLIP toolbox or my distros printer setup both show the default paper as 8.5x11 US LETTER the printer dialogs from every application I try still show 8x10 as soon as I click PRINT. I don't have (ready) access to a windows machine to see if that matters but this worked for many months with my system. I am connected via usb to a lenovo ideapad running Debian Stretch and have the most recent versions of all HP and CUPS software I can find. Any thoughts? I've never had a problem running HP printers under linux out of the box but this one has me stumped.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@mbaustian 

The following requires that the printer be on your network...

Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to configure the Tray and Paper Management setting.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management

Example

9025_EWS_Preferences_Tray_and_Paper_Management_19025_EWS_Preferences_Tray_and_Paper_Management_1

9025_EWS_Preferences_Tray_and_Paper_Management_Advanced_19025_EWS_Preferences_Tray_and_Paper_Management_Advanced_1

Example:  Copy Defaults

EWS_9025_Copy_Defaults_1EWS_9025_Copy_Defaults_1

References

User Guide - EWS - Change the default paper size detected by printer - Page 15

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP DeskJet 2636 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. I was able to set up a wireless connection to the printer and enter the EWS setup. Sadly, although the print options show normal us letter size but the printer continues to print as though the paper was 8x10. I don't think this is application specific. I have a similar problem in all applications I've been able to test. Any idea that something changed when I did this alignment process after changing the black cartridge. I've never been instructed to do anything like that although I've not used all in one printers before, either.

HP Recommended

@mbaustian 

You are welcome.

Deskjet printer models lack a printer control panel and are dependent other means to manage the settings.

I would have hoped the instructions for changing / managing the paper size in EWS would have worked.

The only other place I am aware you could have influenced this setup is in the printer software.

The following requires that you have installed HPLip for your printer / OS version.

Start menu (lower left corner if you keep your Task Manager along the bottom of your display)

Select HP Print Manager

Open the Device Manager

Tab Printer Settings

Change settings as desired - if you make a change and want it to "stick" select / click "Default" next to that setting

Reference

HP Linux Imaging and Printing > Download HPLIP

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip. I will poke around with this more tomorrow. I set up the wireless using a different method and oddly it doesn't show up in the HPLIP toolbox or print manager settings but I can still print to it, albeit with the aforementioned issues. In the morning I will try to delete and reinstall via the HPLIP software and see if that works. I can also boot to a live cd and see if it works in a different os environment. Now I'm just being stubborn because I have other printers. Mark

HP Recommended

@mbaustian 

You are welcome.

I admit we do not now, nor have I ever had, a Deskjet printer. 

We have HPLip installed in Opensuse Linux,  The only current printer we are managing with it is an Officejet Pro 9025 - maybe a completely different animal.

Good Luck - and nothing wrong with stubborn.  Smiling.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.